Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 12:57 PM

Default Damn cable out 1AM lose 6 buy ins at 33\'s, does anybody have backups?

I am considering switching to DSL but not sure if it is as fast as cable. Last night lost connection made my night of only up $90 to a losing night. Does anybody here have a back up connection? Anybody use DSL and ever have problems with it? Thanks
Old 07-07-2005, 01:23 PM

Default Re: Damn cable out 1AM lose 6 buy ins at 33\'s, does anybody have backups?

I don't recommend switching to DSL. I recommend ordering DSL and keep your cable connection and use DSL as your backup. I've done this and it works wonderfully when the internet service goes out. It takes me about 15-20 seconds to switch my wireless connection to my DSL Wireless router. The only thing I'm missing is battery backup for my routers, modems, monitors and computer. That will be coming within a month.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Damn cable out 1AM lose 6 buy ins at 33\'s, does anybody have backu

DSL used to have very poor reliability, but from what I've heard, it's been improved greatly. I used to support DSL for an ISP about 6-7 years ago (when you could expect 1 month of downtime for every year service). The problem that I recall was when you had multiple providers involved. The techs, not wanting to do any work, would just blame each other. We actually had two techs get into a shoving match on a customer's front lawn; the customer had to put the phone down to go break it up.

Now that the technology is more mature, and many telco's have merged, I'd imagine that you'd see a lot less of the above.

Before you start worrying about any of this, you need to check your availability because DSL is very distance dependand (from your house to the Central Office where your phone service is supplied).

WhatIs guide on DSL
http://searchdatacenter.techtarget.c...r/definition/0,295854,sid80_gci213915_iid2652,00.html

Here are the availability checkers for a few providers.
http://promo.yahoo.com/sbc/
http://www22.verizon.com/
https://apps.xo.com/dslonline/

**Note** I'm assuming you're in the US, if not, your milage may vary. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Hope this was some help,
--propaganda
Old 07-07-2005, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't recommend switching to DSL. I recommend ordering DSL and keep your cable connection and use DSL as your backup. I've done this and it works wonderfully when the internet service goes out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Basically they should nearly never go out at the same time. If you are profitable player the 20-30 a month for DSL should be a non-issue. And all sites at this point should let you switch on the fly.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:31 PM

I've had DSL for 18 months & had 0 problems with DSL, more problems with my own hardware.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Re: Damn cable out 1AM lose 6 buy ins at 33\'s, does anybody have backups?

another solution is to give your password to a couple trusted friends and call them when it crashes
Old 07-07-2005, 02:38 PM

I have DSL and it is v v v bad. I've had cable in the past in a different location and it was quite good. My roomy and I are switching to cable this weekend....I'm tentatively thinking about keeping the DSL and just paying for it completely myself (but I also have to pay for a phone line that I wouldn't use).

Having both is ideal and perhaps something like BroadBand Access from Verizon Wireless, [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img], for your laptop .... all with battery backups and what have you.

Yugoslav
Old 07-07-2005, 02:45 PM

I've had some issues with my cable as well. One thing I've learned about the cable (which you may already be aware of) is that if you have your cable line spliced, the cable modem will crap out a lot more often. This was the case with my connection. I've since moved my cable modem to another room in my house, one that has fewer splits before getting to it. I've had zero problems so far, though it has only been 2 weeks(which is actually a huge improvement).
Old 07-07-2005, 05:23 PM

Don't pick and choose one or the other; have overlap. I have DSL and have dial-up, and have had both fail numerous times. Having the other ready to go at all times is a HUGE money saver. And at today's prices, you can get back-up with either system for about 20 bucks a month, less sometimes. (I think Yahoo is $14.95/mo for DSL now.)

I know someone who has cable, DSL, and dial-up. Considering the amount of money he puts online, it's only sensible.

I would also extremely strongly recommend that you get a battery back-up unit. If the power goes out, you will have plenty of time to either finish up a few hands, or shut down your computer, or perhaps to finish an SNG, depending on the power of the unit you get. It costs a few hundred dollars to get one, but they last for years and are excellent protection. A good battery back-up unit also functions as a top-notch surge protector, too.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:39 PM

Same thing happened to me the other night. Is your provider Charter? Cause they are crap!!! All this BS maintenance without notice.

Anyway, after a couple of profitable months doing this full time, I will be getting both DSL and Cable so that things like this wont happen. Also, there are routers that will do multiple wan connections for those who dont want to have to deal with setting up 2 routers and such.