Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 12:24 PM

Default Re: Thread Recap for latecomers

Thank blatz, that was a great service.

I am laughing atm because Paul has 5 messages in here, and it's a thread started by SC, who I still have ignored, so I have no idea what the starter msg said in it's entirety, nor do I care.

FTR I have 2 degrees and find college to be 85% jopke at the very minimum and certainly for 98% of us, -EV. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

>TW<
Old 07-05-2005, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Was Stu Ungar really a great poker player?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Barry G has talked about Stuey's amazing reads and how there are no 'amazing fold' stories.

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't jibe - if you have amazing hand-reading capabilities, you'd be making great laydowns all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Here is what Barry wrote on his website: "There are stories about great calls Stuey made, but I haven’t heard any about great laydowns."

(He doesn't mention "amazing reads.")
Old 07-05-2005, 03:42 PM

I agree the book makes you almost look at him in disgust but it is a great read. Also why does everyone talk about holdem Stu was known to be a good 7 card player as he got lessons from chip he was a good cash game player and nearly unbeatable headsup.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:50 PM

That's the point. Now we can draw any number of conclusions from that.

1. Stu Ungar was a fish calling station, not a great hand reader.

2. Barry Greenstein is jealous of Ungar's high profile lifestyle (which by the way, provided employment to numerous Colombians - more than Greenstein's mollifying handouts could ever do).

3. Stu Ungar was capable of making amazing reads, but only to make extremely thin calls. This is more likely given his gambling persona - he was the Anti Phil Hellmuth and wanted everyone to know how great he was at calling with what was surprisingly the best hand. Just like Hellmuth is sometimes right when he lays down overpairs, Ungar was sometimes right in calling with no pair.

It's interesting to note that in The Biggest Game in Town, Stu Ungar makes a dreadful call with KK when Perry Green bets twice the pot with an ace on board, and spikes a third king on the turn. There's no doubting that Ungar was a great player, but I think the myths about him are perpetuated by people who believe that 'Rounders' style hand reading is possible.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Thread Recap for latecomers

I was wondering what happend to all the trolls. I thought maybe they all got banned. I guess they let you stay.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:30 PM

I love how i'm looked at as a lower level poster. When in fact i give better, more informative, and more interesting posts than most of the people who insult me here. I hope to achieve your respectable status one day here on 2+2.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love how i'm looked at as a lower level poster. When in fact i give better, more informative, and more interesting posts than most of the people who insult me here. I hope to achieve your respectable status one day here on 2+2.

[/ QUOTE ]

You give good post.

[img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
Old 07-05-2005, 06:44 PM

sorry bud... I didn't really tell the end of the story anyhow... There is plenty of depressing stuff left after the credit card embarrassment.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:46 PM

Default Re: His WSOP feats - not that great he beat 73 and 75 players in 80,81

[ QUOTE ]
Not trying to be and ad here but pick up "One of a Kind" Stu's auto if you want to know what he did. Really he was a great cash player when he was really playing and not coked up. As for toruneys he has a more impressive win percentage than anyone at any sport (Tiger, Williams sisters, any poker player) He was a phenom but in the end like Fisher he let other things get in the way of him. As brilliant as he was at poker in terms of skill he lacked business sense and thats why he died broke. But again it wasnt his talent that did him in he was one of the best if not the best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have the book, read it already.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:56 PM

Default check out barry greenstein\'s web page for your answer

www.barrygreenstein.com/