Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2005, 11:56 PM

Default how often are you willing to fold this?

You have KJ os in CO in middle rounds of a $200 online buy in stack = 3300. Reasonably tight table image - but you have made a few positional moves. BB =7200 (has table chip lead by 3000, several people around 2000-3500) . Blinds are 50,100.

Folded to me , raised 300 bb raises 800 (bb is somewhat new to table) - i am getting impatient and thinking he may have a weak ace or medium pair (and tilting from another bad beat in a different tourney) I shove the stack in he calls instantly with aj os and wins pot - ace hit flop.

I suppose I deserved that one but if the big stack is bullying people (even though i didn't have a read) that are coming in from a steal position what is your play? - if the bb may stop and goes to represent ace anyway - call and play the flop or try to win it with some expected FE from his potential fold. I am not sure I would have enjoyed calling an all in for half of my stack with aj os.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:04 AM

Default Re: how often are you willing to fold this?

Easy fold after he reraised you. You tried to steal, he caught you, let it go.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:35 PM

This is a big leak in my game. I defend my steals b/c I think my opp is just playing back at me. I never give them enough credit when I get re-raised PF. I used to call w/ any pair, two paint, or a suited ace, but after getting killed a few times I locked down a bit.

What hands would you call re-raises with in general? Only AA-QQ, AKs? I've tightened up to AA-TT, AK-AJs. Is this still too loose general speaking, or about right? Obviously reads make all the difference, but what's a good base?
Old 07-02-2005, 11:53 PM

To answer your question.

Every single time.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:05 AM

You got busted by someone who called you with a better hand. And yet it's clear from your comments that subconsciously you want to criticise their play in some way - or get others to do it for you. Fight these Hellmuthian tendencies and stop making these pointless posts.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:19 AM

Here's your key: [ QUOTE ]
i am getting impatient

[/ QUOTE ] This happens to me sometimes, especially when the big stack is playing loose aggressive poker. I'm not sure you necessarily have to fold after getting repopped by the BB, but you definitely need to take a read and reevaluate the situation.

You said:
[ QUOTE ]
thinking he may have a weak ace or medium pair (and tilting from another bad beat in a different tourney)

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming this is accurate, you're a slight dog against your read. You have some FE when you relate your stack size (2500, after calling his raise) to the pot (1650, but not when you consider what he sees. He's seeing you coming out of a steal position and thinks his AJ is good, and raises. You move in. He's getting 1.6 to 1. Your range of hands is huge. He's beat by a bigger ace, or any pair. He's got odds to take a race against your 88, 99 or KQ, and your stack will leave him at about average. But his main consideration is: "I think he's stealing." You don't have enough chips to fold him unless he's on a total resteal.

I think you can reasonably see a flop and when the ace hits, you're done with it. You shouldn't be concerned about getting played- your opponent has given you every indication that he has you beaten. And at least you get away without losing your entire stack.

FOITNOF,
-D.

P.S.:We should try to be more patient.