Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2005, 05:03 AM

Default Re: Dear Atheists/Agnostics....

[ QUOTE ]
I am a very very very big Woody Allen fan. He is obsessed with three things: God, death and sex.

Throughout his work, it becomes semi obvious that though he is an atheist, he very much wants to NOT be an atheist. He simply cant believe in God without more evidence.

I ask you: does this describe you?

That is, IF somehow you were given proof of God's existence, would you be more content? As content? Would it actually bother you?

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, no, it doesn't describe me*. But...

We still have the normal problems of defining god. Which god has been "proven?" Does this god prefer a particular holy book? Does the existence of said deity also imply an afterlife? Who gets to go there? And what about the proof itself? What kind of proof can be so convincing that your average staunch atheist could be convinced? What proof could there be that couldn't be explained by an elaborate hoax or mischievious aliens? Even putting aside the believability of the proof, the answers to the other questions would have a very significant effect on how I felt about it.

For instance:

If god = aliens, then big deal. Interesting, yes, but I wouldn't particularly care. I would ask them what their genesis was.

If god = something resembling the Judeo-Christian god, then I think he has a lot of explaining to do.

Actually, it's hard for me to even write a serious response to this, as I think that the idea of a "god" existing is so ridiculous that it is silly to even entertain the idea.

* I should clarify that this no longer describes me. When I first became an atheist, and for maybe a few years after, I found it to be rather depressing and frightening to contemplate my own eventual non-existence. But, that has worn off. It just doesn't bother me anymore. One could perhaps liken it to withdrawal from a powerful drug, except that the drug no longer has any lure whatsoever, and barring severe brain damage, the likelihood of a relapse is exceedingly remote. I think it is primarily this fear of nonexistence that keeps the god-junkies sucking at the teat of religion. Who wouldn't like to live on after death? Sure, I used to want to believe, but I've matured beyond that. I can no longer seriously entertain such a thing any more than I can seriously entertain wanting to believe in the Tooth Fairy. In the grand scheme of the universe, humans are simply not that important. However, I have come to realize that most people are not as scientifically minded as me, and that humans are genetically predisposed toward religion anyway. So, I generally don't (directly) call them stupid twits anymore. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Even though at times it may be difficult to contain my contempt.

Rather than worry about god-death-religion-whatever, my concerns now are in improving the quality of life for myself and my fellow humans, as well as the rest of life on this planet. I'd rather make life worth living in the here and now.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If there was a god, and he was anything like the one the majority of westerners worship, I'd be caught between dismay and disgust.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is also my stance. If Christians accurately portray their God, then I would be horribly dismayed. The idea than non-beleivers are punished, despite any concrete evidence of a God at all, horrifies me.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:31 AM

"This is also my stance. If Christians accurately portray their God, then I would be horribly dismayed. The idea that non-beleivers are punished, despite any concrete evidence of a God at all, horrifies me."

It horrifies Christians too. So they try to wiggle out of it. Pair the Board and BluffTHIS do it by saying that those who are truly convinced there is a lack of evidence, and lead an otherwise righteous life, will get a pass. NOT READY wiggles out by saying that there is in fact overwhelming evidence ("just look around you") and those who deny it, do it as an excuse to lead naughty lives.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:13 AM

You're gonna burn in hell for watching movies made by a pedophile.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:00 AM

I wish Santa Claus was real. If it were demonstrated that he were, I'd be very happy. What a benevolent guy!

I like the idea of God a little less. At least the kind of God people say exists. He doesn't seem as nice. Or jolly.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:45 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

PS CORNEL != SCHOOL OF FISH.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously the statement is correct as

1. CallMeIshmael is a student there and has it listed as his location.
2. You spelled Cornell wrong. That makes you a fish. Since you're from Ithaca, we have some evidence that Cornell is a school of fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't really argue with that. But you'd be hard-pressed to find 10 schools with better players than Cornell.

[/ QUOTE ]

umass wins
Old 06-30-2005, 01:02 PM

Daryn is right.

-SmileyEH
Old 06-30-2005, 01:14 PM

I'm agnostic.

I think it would be disturbing to learn the ultimate answer.

Maybe when I'm older I'll change my mind.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:31 PM

To me one only has to look at His creation to believe God exists. I like to use the analogy of a rubics cube to illustrate.

Imagine someone taking a rubics cube and placing it behind their back and after several series of random turns and twists of the faces they successfully solve it. How long and how many efforts would be required to accomplish this? The materialists view of the universe seems to accept (on blind faith I suppose) that it doesn't matter how long it took - the time required to accomplish this has been surpassed. Now that is some strong faith.

Now instead of a 9x9 cube imagine the same random occurance with a 12x12 or a 100x100 cube ....... neither of which comes near the complexity of God's creation.

The evidence is the creation itself Romans 1:20.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't really argue with that. But you'd be hard-pressed to find 10 schools with better players than Cornell.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know of several within the Ivy League alone that beats Cornell.

We probably arent in the top 100 in the US. Also, UMass does own in this contest.