Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2005, 06:41 AM

Default When To Call 2 More Cold Out of the Big Blind

Hi fellas,

I'm a tight, winning player and I've recently been thinking about my blind play. My play versus a raise is pretty automatic, but I always suspected that I was playing far too tightly versus a raise and reraise. Playing online in these short aggressive games, often the cutoff or button will raise and the small blind will 3bet will virtually anything that they will play. These players will normally have decent hands, but not the 3bet type hands that most books have you fearing domination and making big laydowns.

So I was hoping I could get a little help with this. I'm just on the Card Player Odds Calculator and typing in some 3way hands.

1) Button raise A8s, SB 3bets QJs and you're in the BB with 76s. Without a cap, you're getting 3.5:1 pot odds. And your chance to win the pot is at 26.3% or around 3:1. So you're getting odds. But this is to go all the way to the river and what about your position (2 of 3).

2)ATs, KJs versus 76s in BB for 3 bets as well. Now you have a 30% (3.3:1) chance to win. Again, getting odds.

3)What about an overpair. Let's say ATs, JJ, and 76s. Now you have a 20% (4:1) chance to win the pot. Not too bad. Not getting odds but almost. And the big problem- this is as bad as it gets!!

4)AA, JJ, and 76s- the "nightmare scenario" (I thought). Still a 4:1 dog (okay AA didn't cap it).

5) A8s, KJo, and 65s? 28% which is better than 3:1 to win up with the best hand.

6) A8s, JJ, 76(off)? 16% dog so over 5:1-ahhhh finally a clear fold!

Okay you get the idea. These are just some rough examples. I could go on and on here. I'm thinking of tons of hands that I instamuck for that third bet that are even stronger than this: QTs, T9s.

What really disturbs me is in that Worst-Case scenario where someone has an overpair, you're only a 4:1 dog to win the pot. Of course this doesn't include later money put in on the flop and turn- does this change the problem?

So what do you guys say? How do you play these above-average hands against loose-aggressives for 3 bets? I could use some serious help here!

Joeflex
Old 06-20-2005, 08:24 AM

Default Re: When To Call 2 More Cold Out of the Big Blind

i think odds calculator alone is not the correct way to evaluate the value of ur hands cause u win or loose money postflop and not preflop. in ur 76s example there are so many flops that give u a headache like AJ7. even if u are in front u will be here forced to fold the best hand in many cases. and the odds calclator doesnt evaluate how many bets u will win or loose to the river with ur marginal hands!