Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 01:13 PM

Default Call all-in pre flop with 77?

Down to the last 2 in a home game. I am on the button with 77. Other player raised to t400, I make it t1200 to go and he goes all in? Now I think he probably has a good hand because this has been a suprisingly tight heads up play, and I havent seen him move in without an ACE so far. However I have him out chipped 2.5-1. I am used to playing ring games so short handed play isnt exactly my specialty so any thing you can offer me about how you came to the conclusion to call or not to call would be great.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Call all-in pre flop with 77?

You need to ask yourself this question pre-flop. Are you prepared to get him all-in on this hand?

As for calling the answer I think is YES. You have a big lead and this allows you to put opponent in coinflip situtions where he loses the tournament and you just lose the hand. If you lose the stacks will be 2:1.5 a slight disadvantage for you but nowhere near crippled.

77 is 55:45 against two overcards, so you have the best of it. Of course he may have a big PP and could be in big trouble, but even so you need to call. You cannot wait for premium pairs HU on the end. Take your chance now to bust him.

Alternatively, you could have just called PF and seen the flop. You would then have the choice of dumping your 77 if the board was big cards.

What proportion of your/opponents stack size do these bets represent? Your PF decision and choice of call are affected by this.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:14 PM

The money in the pot after all betting had concluded besides my call/fold I believe I had about 3,000 left and he had around 1200. Like I said I haven't played much heads up so I was playing tighter but I decided he might be making this move with 2 big cards or just a bare ace and decided to call. Results in white below...

<font color="white">Hero had 77, Villian showed A-6. There was an Ace on the turn and Hero loses. </font>
Old 06-16-2005, 02:24 PM

There isn't enough information here. What are the blinds? How much do you each have? I see that you have a 2.5-1 chip lead, but the actual amounts are important because it determines what odds you are getting to call the all in here. There's probably enough in there at this point to call and hope to win a race. If he weren't "surprisingly tight" it would be an easy call, since a lot of players would push here with something you have dominated like 55 or A7s.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:35 PM

Yeah I agree w/ Bobby. Definitely need to know stack sizes compared to blinds.

and also need to know about your opponent. Has he been going all-in a lot? With less than premium hands or only really good ones? How long have you been heads up?

There are several things about this hand that you need to consider that it sounds like you don't normally think about.

As an aside from this hand: Try reading pgs. 16-23 in Harrington on Hold'em Vol. 1. I think your overall game would improve some from that.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:42 PM

I think this is a good situation to call. Hopefully your opponent does not have an overpair and even if he does you can still bounce back and win or possibly get lucky and trip your 7's.