Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2005, 01:30 PM

Default Re: Breaking News: Suspect confesses to killing Hottie McWhite

[ QUOTE ]
I think it is important to consider the extremely poor judgement shown by Natalee, her parents and her friends.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with you here.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think it is important to consider the extremely poor judgement shown by Natalee, her parents and her friends.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with you here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with her and her friends but what did her parents do wrong??

Also, obviously the media cares about this, she was an American and we're in America. Just like that Aussie in Bali, that was in the press there just like this, but it didn't register outside Australia for more than a day. Plus, what are we going to do in Rwanada? Send in troops? Then people will complain that we're "nation building" and bitch for months and months.

PS this is getting dangerously close to politics.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:43 PM

Sorry, I didn't mean to include the parents. Her friends though should not have let her go. If it was my friend I would have said..WTF?? you are going to leave with 3 guys that you just met??

I would have tried to stop her, but then again we really don't know this girl. We only know what people say about her. Besides being apparently drunk, she could have been strong willed and refused to listen to what anyone else said to her.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with her and her friends but what did her parents do wrong??

[/ QUOTE ]

Her parents were wrong in the same way that the parents of Michael Jackson's victims were wrong. You do not send your children to the residence of a 40 year old man who likes to play with toys and children...and you do not serve up your naive 18 year old daughter to the bar scene in a foreign country.

I understand, as an 18 year old she is a legal adult. But who among us really believes that an 18 year old under the influence of alcohol is fully capable of making correct decisions?

At one end of the spectrum, maybe her parents should have denied her the permission to go on this trip. Maybe they should have asked her to pledge not to consumer alcohol...or to avoid bars...to be back at her hotel by dark...to never leave the company of her friends...to call home every night at 10PM...whatever... Again, we don't have all the facts, so I don't want to condemn her parents unfairly. But, I think 18 year old girls need a certain amount of parental protection...and it may have been somewhat lacking in this case.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:00 PM

I loved him in Celebrity Jeopardy.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:19 PM

Your post is laden with so many irrelevant and unrealistic statements that it's hard to view it as anything other than a farce.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:25 PM

nh
Old 06-11-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
800,000 people died in Rwanda

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

[/ QUOTE ]

This is, by a wide margin, the best gimmick account and only good one ever.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:59 PM

She graduated from Mountain Brook High, a wealthy Birmingham suburb. The senior class from that school has been making this trip for over twenty years.

Trivia: This is Courtney Cox's high school.

Maybe the fact that her family is rich has something to do with the coverage... but I blame 24-hour cable news.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:20 PM

I am not aware that people that young girls who come from wealthy suburbs are somehow better prepared to accept the risks associated with boozing it up while traveling in a foreign country. I would argue that, in this case, complacency has led to negligence which has resulted in tragedy. Let me be clear, the killers are reprehensible and deserve 99.999+% of the blame. But, had Natalee been less negligent, this crime might have been avoided. It is possible that Natalee's parents did in fact help her by explaining the risks she was confronting on this trip to Aruba and reminding her of her priority to remain safe -or maybe they were overly complacent.

I don't expect most teenagers to agree with my point of view. I probably had different views when I was a teen (cannot remember back that far...), but as a parent, I will do what I can to have my teenage children balance having fun with staying safe.