Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2005, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Ok I quit this is not worth of it

Addictions cannot successfully be treated by learning to moderate. You must quit and stick to it. Call GA and get into counseling. You have a problem, and its more serious than losing at poker.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Call GA now.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-10-2005, 08:28 PM

sorry to hear that dude. i have been victim of this feeling as well "i'm raising with my premium hands and keep missing! i keep getting sucked out on! i'm getting COLD CARDED EVERY DAY!" i coached baseball for 6 years+ (moved up each year from 12 year olds, 13 year olds, 14-16 and 16-18)

Anyway...losing/missing etc is a state of mind and when you're in it, it's HARD to get out. I've seen many strong pitchers go through slumps "The umpire is garbage, he needs glasses!" Over and over I watch the pitcher walk batter after batter and throw BP (batting practice) fastball after BP fastball." I think the same kind of thing happens to poker players. Once you start running bad, nothing hits because you are in a losing frame of mind. No hand will help you win, every hand you lose is due to a suckout.

Take a breather and maybe we'll get you in next game (next week!)
Old 06-10-2005, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and i suppose these are pretty normal things when you have gambling problem and im starting to feel that i might have it

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes, call gambler's anonymous. It sounds like a textbook case of gambling addiction.

Fortunately, I don't have the gambling "urge", but have known a few that do. For me, poker is just a grind, kinda like sending in rebates or some other "mindless" chore. Sure, poker can be interesting and exciting, in the same way that computer programming or chess can be exciting. But, I just don't have the personality to do it for more than passing recreation.

With that in mind, here's my solution for when I'm "on tilt". Depending on how raged I am, I'll jump down a few levels in stakes. I set aside a certain amount of time for poker, and if I'm tilting early in a session, I still have a certain poker "itch", so I justify it by playing where money means much less. Recently, I bumped down to playing $.01/$.02 when I was in a serious boiling rage, for whatever reason, which may have had nothing to do with poker. It's almost hilarious to see the pennies flying around the virtual table as I ride a drunken tiltfest. Who cares if I lose a couple bucks in pennies, at least I get it out of my system. I don't know if this is good advice, but it's what keeps ME 'sane'.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:16 AM

I agree with others that you definitely have a gambling problem.

Believe me, without treatment it will just get worse and worse and worse. If you think you're suffering now, just continue without treatment and you'll really find out the meaning of pain.

I wish you the best and want to assure you that there is life without poker. The majority of fulfilled contented people in the world do not gamble and do not feel deprived because they dont.

Good Luck - Again, I urge you to get treatment.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:08 AM

keep us updated bro
Old 06-11-2005, 03:28 AM

OK after getting so many responses contacting GA I called them and did the test on their homepage. They have a meeting on Wednesday and I think I will also try it, just to find out what kind of problem I really have.

Until that I wont play any poker at all.. also I think if I will play again poker I should start on whole new site where I can play lower limit games without feeling that my reputation is gone and everyone thinks I'm broke(yeah I know ridiculous), also in future I will hopefully just see poker in a way of have fun time instead of job as it is now.

Yeah I was playing semi-pro until yesterday and poker has brought me lot of nice things, but I think it's not late start concentrating on more creative things -- after all my still only 19 years old.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:35 AM

good for you dude, glad to hear it.