Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2005, 02:05 AM

Default End-game play too aggressive?

Recently, I have played about 8 MTTs and made it into the money 4 times. I got busted out on a real bad beat in one at 5th place, but the other three I got 13th, 16th, and 17th (all 4 ITMs were tournaments starting with 400-1000 people)

My strategy was "playing for first." I interpret that to be playing for a huge stack before getting to the final table. Unfortunately my aggression ran me into the ground 3 times just before the final table, and I'm starting to wonder if I'm maybe taking it too far? Does this happen frequently to anyone else?

For instance the last tournament I busted in the following situation:

16 people left, blinds are 1500/3000 and antes. I was on the CO with 24k chips, everyone folded to me and I pushed all-in with 87o. BB woke up to AA and that's that.

In another tournament, I busted in a similar way, running into a big hand when pushing in late position first in, with about 8BB and a trash hand.

On the other hand, the 17th place I only lost on a coinflip. When I got 5th place, I had been playing like this and hadn't run into any big hands...

I don't know if I should I be slowing down or keeping on the pressure at this stage and just pray I don't run into any big hands? I used to be a real wimp and get myself blinded out. Now I'm hitting the other extreme and getting very frustrated.

Do I just suck at endgame?? Any suggestions?

Eto...
Old 06-11-2005, 06:13 AM

Default Re: End-game play too aggressive?

Read Harrington on holdem volume 2, endgame play.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:43 AM

why push with the 87 why not just open for a raise atleast you can get away from it.

jmho
billyb
24 more days till vegas
Old 06-11-2005, 10:08 AM

I think pushing with junk hands with 8xBB from late position is too aggressive. I want a pair, 2 high cards, or a suited connector/gapper. The later your position and the shorter your stack the more aggressive you can become. I push a lot, but I would need a special situation to push with junk.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:20 AM

Tell me if I'm wrong, but if I've got 8xBB left in my stack I didn't think it is feasible to be raising without going all-in. Especially on UB where there's 2.5 BB in the pot before the cards are dealt (big antes). Most importantly, I didn't think I want to get away from it. I don't want people playing back at me pushing me in after I've put in more than 25% of my shortstack...

Is this the wrong line? Should I be more inclined to push with Ax or suited/connecting cards? I like to consider that if I get called I'll be live against AX, so I like the connectors.

(btw, I'm on Amazon right now ordering Harrington's book, Vol. 2. I was a little bit out of the loop and didn't realize it was even out yet. Thanks for the suggestion)

Eto...
Old 06-11-2005, 10:37 AM

You are not getting the right odds to push with 8xBB with unsuited connecting cards. With antes, I would push from CO with 4xBB and 87o. I would generally rather push with 87o than A2o unless I was pushing from the SB.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:43 AM

But I've hardly got any folding equity by the time I'm at 4xBB. That's why I'm pushing now.

Obviously my strategy is a bit skewed. Hence why I'm posting.

With 8xBB remaining, and losing 2.5xBB/8 hands, what am I waiting for? At this point, I have position and plenty of folding equity--assuming I don't run into a big hand...

Does anyone else play like this?

Eto...
Old 06-11-2005, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But I've hardly got any folding equity by the time I'm at 4xBB. That's why I'm pushing now.

Obviously my strategy is a bit skewed. Hence why I'm posting.

With 8xBB remaining, and losing 2.5xBB/8 hands, what am I waiting for? At this point, I have position and plenty of folding equity--assuming I don't run into a big hand...

[/ QUOTE ]

You are waiting for something better than 87o.

With 4xBB and antes, you have no folding equity but plenty of pot odds to push or call a raise. It is probably easier to play with 4xBB than 8xBB. You don't want to get that short stacked, but I wouldn't play like a kanikazi to avoid it. When you have 6xBB, you can be a lot more aggressive than with 8xBB and you still have some folding equity.

I am definately looking to push with 8xBB in late position, but play some kind of real hand, 22, KTo, A7s, 86s, but not 87o.