Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Hahahahahahahahahaha (low content)

But even if he raised it to $3.00 preflop, if you know he's the type of player to put 50+ BB on the flop, you're going to call him preflop because of the huge implied odds. Incorrectly giving huge implied odds is point of this hand.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:45 AM

the simple reason these players are losing here is because they get married to aces and kings, they don't care what the board looks like, aces are invincible and that is that.

This obviously gives you brilliant implied odd's when they raise small or just limp and lead with a pot sized bet.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:52 AM

Love it nice hand [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Bad player he must be whit AA .
Old 06-07-2005, 11:56 AM

Another thing I ought to say here...

I've said in other threads that I will call a minraise with any two out of the big blind. Others have disagreed as to whether or not its a good idea to do so. I've always countered that the information I gain from the raise combined with the discounted price of being in the BB makes it +EV.

The vast majority of the time, I check/fold my garbage on the flop. However, if I can get a big payoff as I did in this hand, that pays for a lot of 1xBB check/folds later. I don't need to hit the flop hard all that often for the play of calling all minraises from the BB to be profitable.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:48 PM

It's the same reason I complete with any two if a couple people limp in. I'm always shocked when people fold their SB getting 9-1 on their preflop call, but it happens all the time.

By the way, this is hardly low content. Nice hand, nice moral.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's the same reason I complete with any two if a couple people limp in. I'm always shocked when people fold their SB getting 9-1 on their preflop call, but it happens all the time.

By the way, this is hardly low content. Nice hand, nice moral.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't the same as completing in the SB. I'm much tighter in the SB than in the BB in a minraised pot. In the SB, you don't have the extra information the minraise gives you so you can't necessarily expect to get action if you hit hard (not that its a guarantee in the minraise situation, either, but its more likely).

That doesn't make it wrong to complete with any two in the SB with several limpers but its a slightly different situation.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:07 PM

Good point. I guess completing in the SB getting 9-1 as a parallel lesson to calling a min-raise in the BB getting 5-1 (or more).

Although, note that people who play poorly post-flop should probably fold their blinds more.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:15 PM

i'm highly enjoying this thread.

but as to completing in the SB with any 2 with limpers. how hard do you have to hit the flop in order to avoid being dominated? i.e. Kx, Qx, Ax, Jx? are you relying on the fact that even if you partially hit the flop you can get away from your hand easily?

i.e. what about a min raise and several callers and flop comes AQx and you have Ay, and y hits the turn? are you still willing to get money in?

as for not giving implied odds, i've found myself married to hands where I'm getting beat by rags with an overpair despite raising pot. i really need to improve my post-flop play, but sniffing out the monsters invariably leads you to feel like your opponents are making a play on you
Old 06-07-2005, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another thing I ought to say here...

I've said in other threads that I will call a minraise with any two out of the big blind. Others have disagreed as to whether or not its a good idea to do so. I've always countered that the information I gain from the raise combined with the discounted price of being in the BB makes it +EV.

The vast majority of the time, I check/fold my garbage on the flop. However, if I can get a big payoff as I did in this hand, that pays for a lot of 1xBB check/folds later. I don't need to hit the flop hard all that often for the play of calling all minraises from the BB to be profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]
I won't do it with ANY two, but really close. I like to think of it as a spite call. I just despise the mini raise. I keep thinking, what the He** is EP thinking miniraising. Does he want to build a pot? Get people to fold? or trap? I like everyone of those options to play against. I'm not going to get tied to my junk as often as him, and when I hit, the implied odds are there. He already told me that.
Probably the best part of doing it is when you take their stack with 57o and they throw a fit that you called the raise preflop. I always tell them "That's not a raise". The tilt itself has got to be +ev.

Later,
Rick
Old 06-08-2005, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but as to completing in the SB with any 2 with limpers. how hard do you have to hit the flop in order to avoid being dominated?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends. It's all about the texture of the flop. It's something that is hard to explain or teach; it's just knowledge that comes from experience.

If the flop is uncoordinated and K-high, and you have K4, and you bet out and get called, what does your opponent have? Probably a higher king. Otherwise he probably woulden't be calling. Be prepared to check/fold or check/call a small bet.

If the flop is Th 8s 7h and you have Tc 3d, check/folding is probably the best option.

[ QUOTE ]
are you relying on the fact that even if you partially hit the flop you can get away from your hand easily?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I have check/folded top pair many times.

[ QUOTE ]
i.e. what about a min raise and several callers and flop comes AQx and you have Ay, and y hits the turn? are you still willing to get money in?

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I going to stack 100BB? Probably not. Am I willing to get a significant amount of money in against a player I know will overplay AK/AJ? Absolutely.