Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2005, 06:58 PM

Default Re: I hate poor people

Also, a large percentage of poor people in America are fat.

Is this a great country or what?

(Fat, drunk and poor is no way to go through life, son)

(Gawd, I wish our firewall would let me read 2+2 at work)
Old 06-05-2005, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, a large percentage of poor people in America are fat.

Is this a great country or what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good nutrition is much more expensive than bad.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are you referring to poor people in America, or poor people in general?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I guess I shoulda prefaced that. I am refering to poor people in america.

[/ QUOTE ]

btw you should have mentioned this in your original post. People from some countries are basically fuc.ked from birth.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:50 PM

I think you assumptions are wrong and offensive, but ignoring that, if someone is stupid, why do you think that means that they deserve to be poor? People don't choose to be stupid.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you assumptions are wrong and offensive, but ignoring that, if someone is stupid, why do you think that means that they deserve to be poor? People don't choose to be stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not talking mentally challenged stupid. Im talking the kind of stupid where you cant afford a door for your "house" but you spend $45 on pizza the day your welfare check comes out.

Getting off the freeway today I see a guy in proly his mid 30s who had no obvious malformities, holding your typical "im poor please help me" sign. [censored] that guy. He doesnthave to be there begging for change, and I dont care what anybody says, that man is capable of making honest money. 2 blocks down the road there is a group of mexicans who made one helluva hard jounry to get in this country, whove been standing there since about 5am waiting for someone to pick them up and give them some back breaking manual labor to do, and then get paid less than $5 an hour. Of which they send most of back home to thier family. But trailor trash whitey on the freeway corer would rather beg than do honest work that people who have it much rougher than him, risk thier lifes just for the opportunity to do.

I love going to walmart and watching some dirt poor family buy groceries. Lets see, weve got no money and we live in a shity house, what should we buy? oooo, I know, lets spend $20 on beer. Lets see, if I bought ingredients and cooked food we could save money and use it for things we need, but naah, I cant be troubled with that, Im gunna buy these $5 frozen pizzas instead. oh hey, cookies!

These arent assumptions, this is the reality.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not talking mentally challenged stupid. Im talking the kind of stupid where you cant afford a door for your "house" but you spend $45 on pizza the day your welfare check comes out.

Getting off the freeway today I see a guy in proly his mid 30s who had no obvious malformities, holding your typical "im poor please help me" sign. [censored] that guy. He doesnthave to be there begging for change, and I dont care what anybody says, that man is capable of making honest money. 2 blocks down the road there is a group of mexicans who made one helluva hard jounry to get in this country, whove been standing there since about 5am waiting for someone to pick them up and give them some back breaking manual labor to do, and then get paid less than $5 an hour. Of which they send most of back home to thier family. But trailor trash whitey on the freeway corer would rather beg than do honest work that people who have it much rougher than him, risk thier lifes just for the opportunity to do.

I love going to walmart and watching some dirt poor family buy groceries. Lets see, weve got no money and we live in a shity house, what should we buy? oooo, I know, lets spend $20 on beer. Lets see, if I bought ingredients and cooked food we could save money and use it for things we need, but naah, I cant be troubled with that, Im gunna buy these $5 frozen pizzas instead. oh hey, cookies!

These arent assumptions, this is the reality.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah OK this isn't what I thought you meant, firstly because of the within America thing and also because of what you meant by stupid. I also don't have much sympathy for people who make bad financial choices with full knowledge of what they're doing, although I do have some because of their limited choice.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:37 PM

Alobar, we generally have similar senses of humor and I would say we are both fairly pragmatic people. But I think you're way off here. I'm guessing you don't have a lot of experience working directly with poor people or their children.

I do, and I can tell you, many are guilty of all the behaviors you accuse them of, and more. Fiscal irresponsibility, drug abuse, poor work ethic, general incuriosity, etc. But working with poor or neglected children gives you an incredible perspective on where these behaviors come from.

They are learned. Children, including poor children, are adept at absorbing and reproducing the value systems and patterns they see around them. Many of them are extremely smart. Remember that the poor parents of today were the poor children of yesterday.

I won't go into all the ways that the culture of poverty is reproduced. I'm not a person who likes to ignore the responsibility people have for their actions - in fact, I consider it the single most important part of living a free and autonomous life. Suffice it to say that, although I hold my guys responsible for their own actions and expect nothing but the best from them (because anything less is condescending, fuzzy-headed do-goodism), talking with them and exploring how they think, it's shocking how LOGICAL their explanations for their behaviors are.

Basically, I think it often doesn't occur to us how many skills we were lucky enough to learn from our parents and communities. Skills and values that you assume any normal person would be taught are actually taken for granted far too often.

NT
Old 06-05-2005, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Alobar, we generally have similar senses of humor and I would say we are both fairly pragmatic people. But I think you're way off here. I'm guessing you don't have a lot of experience working directly with poor people or their children.

I do, and I can tell you, many are guilty of all the behaviors you accuse them of, and more. Fiscal irresponsibility, drug abuse, poor work ethic, general incuriosity, etc. But working with poor or neglected children gives you an incredible perspective on where these behaviors come from.

They are learned. Children, including poor children, are adept at absorbing and reproducing the value systems and patterns they see around them. Many of them are extremely smart. Remember that the poor parents of today were the poor children of yesterday.

I won't go into all the ways that the culture of poverty is reproduced. I'm not a person who likes to ignore the responsibility people have for their actions - in fact, I consider it the single most important part of living a free and autonomous life. Suffice it to say that, although I hold my guys responsible for their own actions and expect nothing but the best from them (because anything less is condescending, fuzzy-headed do-goodism), talking with them and exploring how they think, it's shocking how LOGICAL their explanations for their behaviors are.

Basically, I think it often doesn't occur to us how many skills we were lucky enough to learn from our parents and communities. Skills and values that you assume any normal person would be taught are actually taken for granted far too often.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

really great post.

First off, regardless of what most people think, I actually have alot of experience dealing with the poor. I grew up poor. I also grew up in New Mexico, which is one of the poorer states in the country (if not the poorest).

Anyway, back to your post. I completely agree that most of these behaviors are learned from parents. Which really sucks. Its the whole if you were abused when you are little, you are much more likely to grow up and be abusive, type thing. I feel like Adam Corolla when he begs the ignorant people who call into loveline, to not have any kids. The sad fact is that poor people usually are the people with the most kids (also a contributing factor to why they are poor). And it sucks for them, because they prolly will never learn any different.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:52 PM

See, I had a feeling you actually had a modicum of compassion and common sense, and were just frustrated or something.

NT
Old 07-04-2005, 03:12 PM

saw a disheaveled, sgraggly looking old guy off the freeway with a sign that read "need money for beer (why lie)" I admit i gave him a buck, as it made me laugh.