Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2005, 06:16 PM

Default Re: The French

[ QUOTE ]
Come visit NY and we can do a trip through some of the great museums here. The impressionist and post-impressionist period are my favorite -- probably because I did a couple of courses in that era.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take the trip. Reproductions don't do justice to great paintings; size, texture, accurate color reproduction, etc.

Frank
Old 06-03-2005, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Come visit NY and we can do a trip through some of the great museums here. The impressionist and post-impressionist period are my favorite -- probably because I did a couple of courses in that era.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will definitely do my best to take youup on that offer. Thank you very much for the offer.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:51 PM

Default Re: Dancers in Pink

Very enjoyable and much appreciated, thanks Cyrus.

Some of these I have seen in books or articles. 'The Star' and 'The Rehersal' for sure.

I became interested in Edgar Degas and his paintings after reading an article about him in the Smithsonian a number of years ago.

-Zeno
Old 06-03-2005, 10:52 PM

A Bar at the Folies-Bergere is now my desktop wallpaper. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-03-2005, 11:27 PM

Good choice,nothing like a hot chick to start the day right!

The original is in one of the London museums.

Note that originally the term Impressionist was used as a pejorative by the conservative art community in Paris at that time -- even though the genesis of the term was from the title of a Monet work. Perhaps like the word "liberal" is used these days by the conservatives [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-03-2005, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good choice,nothing like a hot chick to start the day right!

The original is in one of the London museums.

Note that originally the term Impressionist was used as a pejorative by the conservative art community in Paris at that time -- even though the genesis of the term was from the title of a Monet work. Perhaps like the word "liberal" is used these days by the conservatives [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

And did the impressionists try to deny they were impressionists like the liberals do today? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-04-2005, 12:12 AM

The good liberals dont deny it. Although what exactly is a liberal when used by "conservatives" these days (other than one who does not agree with the republican - who are hardly conservative these days - IMO) is a mystery to me. Note that for example 6M, who agrees with you on a number of points considers himself a liberal and he usually disagrees with Chirs and Cyrus that the Conservative flamers on this forum routinely condemn as liberal.

And the Impressionists did not deny it either.

The painting considered the genesis of the term impressionist - Monet's Impressions Sunrise:
Old 06-04-2005, 12:31 AM

Default Wow, Andy. Thanks. (You too, Cy.) n/t

Old 06-04-2005, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The good liberals dont deny it

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite true. I just had to get in a little dig. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Although what exactly is a liberal when used by "conservatives" these days (other than one who does not agree with the republican - who are hardly conservative these days - IMO) is a mystery to me. Note that for example 6M, who agrees with you on a number of points considers himself a liberal and he usually disagrees with Chirs and Cyrus that the Conservative flamers on this forum routinely condemn as liberal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also agree with this. There are several issues I take the "liberal" side on. Of course 6M calls himself liberal in the classic sense. Its all very confusing.

And that is an incredibly beautiful painting. I have seen some other Monet, but never this one interestingly enough.