Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2005, 09:45 AM

Default Re: It feels like I\'m dying.

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like you have Thrush .

[/ QUOTE ]

Thrush is generally only something that babies and people with weak immune systems (such as AIDS patients) develop. A normal healthy adult is very unlikely to develop thrush.

It sounds like he has a severe case of strep throat.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:48 AM

Gah, you've made me go look it up. Here's what my pathology book (Kumar et al: Robbins & Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease 7e) has to say about tonsillitis:

[ QUOTE ]
Pharyngitis and tonsillitis are frequent concomitants of the usual viral upper respiratory infections

[/ QUOTE ]
/.../
[ QUOTE ]
Bacterial infections may be superimposed on these viral involvements, or the bacteria may be primary invaders. The most common offenders are the β-hemolytic streptococci, but sometimes Staphylococcus aureus or other pathogens may be implicated.

[/ QUOTE ]
/.../
[ QUOTE ]

The major importance of streptococcal "sore throats" lies in the possible development of late sequelae, for example, rheumatic fever (Chapter 12) and glomerulonephritis (Chapter 20). Whether recurrent episodes of acute tonsillitis favor the development of chronic tonsillitis (true chronic tonsillitis is extremely rare) is open to debate, but they may leave residual enlargement of the lymphoid tissue, inviting the tender mercies of the otolaryngologist.

[/ QUOTE ]

So maybe you can wait it out, still. I would see a doctor anyway, it's been 9 days right? Immune system has plenty of time to take care of the inflammation then.

To thatpfunk: I guess most of the time the immune system works, but sometimes it became chronic. There were for sure a lot bigger problems with infections then, owing to greater exposure (hygiene), and depressed immune system (malnutrition).
Old 06-02-2005, 10:09 AM

This is probably Strep throat as someone mentioned before. If there are white splotches in the back of your throat this is almost definately a strep infection.

You need antibiotics. Strep can spread to your heart, and an infection on your heart just cant be good.

Go to the doctor and worry about paying later.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:28 AM

How long has this been going on ? When I was in college , I had something similar to what you are describing. It wasn't really hard to breath but damn , it was hard as hell to swallow any food or anything. It hurt pretty bad and was very uncomfortable. It was mainly my throat. Is that what you were experiencing ? I didn't see a doctor and it went away in 2 weeks. I didn't have any mucous that I can recall , though so you might have something different than what I had. You got to get that checked out. An infection near your brain is not good. Not good at all.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'll make sure to transfer all of my money to you before this happens

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I get some too? Don't forgot about Ponkers.

Ponks
Old 06-02-2005, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i'll make sure to transfer all of my money to you before this happens

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I get some too? Don't forgot about Ponkers.

Ponks

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry guys, it appears i will live. I felt much better this morning, but went to the clinic still. I waited for 2 hours and saw the doctor for literally less than 2 minutes. He said i have strep throat. Then I waited another 30 minutes to get my Penicilin. But it was all free, even the meds. So im happy. The doctor also told me to gargle salt water, so apparently that is good advice, jake.

as for insurance being +ev, i think it can be but only in cases where you have a medical condition and know that giving up your insurance will cause you to pay more per month. however, for healthy people, i think insurance has to be -ev as was pointed out by the fact that insurance companies pay out less than they take in. So its kind of like playing the reverse lottery. You pay money each month so in the rare instance that you have to pay a large sum of money, you no longer have to pay that large sum.

That said, i will be looking into getting today.

Thanks for your help guys,
DB
Old 06-02-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
however, for healthy people, i think insurance has to be -ev as was pointed out by the fact that insurance companies pay out less than they take in.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't precisely true, as insurance companies also invest their money and make profit from the interest on that. This offsets the times they pay more than they get paid.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:51 PM

glad you didn't die.

Insurance is a no brainer. Good to hear you are getting some.
(Insurance, that is. Of course, if you are getting some poon, that's good too)