Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2005, 04:25 AM

Default Hello my name is John and im a calling addict

First hand at the table, but I watched this table for a while and villain seems to LAG, actually very LAG in ps standards. I think two first streets are pretty standard, but how is the river call?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (8 handed) converter

SB ($385.50)
Hero ($331.55)
UTG ($444.20)
UTG+1 ($253.80)
MP1 ($403)
MP2 ($458.05)
CO ($247)
Button ($666.25)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $4, MP1 calls $4, MP2 calls $4, CO calls $4, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($24) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $16</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $16, CO folds, SB folds.

Turn: ($56) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $41</font>, MP2 calls $41.

River: ($138) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets $108</font>, Hero calls $108.

Final Pot: $354
Old 05-28-2005, 04:45 AM

Default Re: Hello my name is John and im a calling addict

He is calling two streets and then betting the river with a hand you beat? That would be a pretty sophisticated bluff, there are no draws really except for the same draw that you have, and he would have no reason to bet the river with that.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:16 AM

Indeed, but I think the whole hand on his part was weird. Waching him playing couple of rounds I was pretty sure he would raise J at least on river. And neither I thought he would slowplay anything like a set untill the river. And if he was calling down with something like 2nd pair why would he bet the river hard.

I was pretty confused.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:44 PM

I don't play at this level, but I don't understand the flop bet. I want as many players in this pot as possible. and the turn bet is a semibluff, right?

I think you should have bet out a smallish (1/3 pot?) amount on the river if you were planning to call a bet that seems like a bluff. if you're popped, it's a clear fold. but like I said, this is higher than I play at.
Old 05-28-2005, 04:05 PM

I think the flop bet is fine, it disguises your hand a little so you can get paid off if you hit, not to mention every so often you can take it down with 10 high. However, that river call with middle pair just looks atrocious. I really dont see a hand your beating besides a bluff, and without a good read im never making that call.
Old 05-28-2005, 04:12 PM

It's okay to call to pick off a bluff when that's all you can beat. In this spot, there's no hands likely to bluff the river really. What draws were there on the flop and turn that missed that he could have called two streets with?