Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2005, 06:08 AM

Default KK+flush draw. Some basic postflop questions

Party $200 6max. Villain seemed fairly tight preflop so far but I didn't have a lot on him. I intended to raise to $15 preflop but misclicked.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 Hero (6 max, 6 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

CO ($160.93)
Button ($167.45)
<font color="#C00000">SB ($140.05)</font>
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($78.8)</font>
UTG ($94.25)
MP ($138.2)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls $2, MP calls $2, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB (poster) raises to $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $10</font>, UTG folds, MP folds, SB calls $6.

Flop: ($24) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($24) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $15</font>, Hero calls $15.

River: ($54) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks

How much to bet on river? I have $54 left (=pot).
I didn't bet the flop to avoid checkraise or stop and go but there are advantages to a bet. So, any different lines.

Thanks
James
Old 05-26-2005, 08:12 AM

Default Re: KK+flush draw. Some basic postflop questions

I don't have a huge issue with your line here at all - although you could make the case that after repopping him preflop and checking thru the flop with an ace on board he may think you have AK or AA - maybe a standard continuation bet works here (esp cuz you have the K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]).

Wonder what he called preflop with - QQ, KK(unlikely obviously, AA, AK...

Gonna be tough to get much money out of him unless he has a high ace or a high heart.

$30 and hope he had AK or QQ [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and thinks you're trying to buy the pot
Old 05-26-2005, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wonder what he called preflop with - QQ, KK(unlikely obviously, AA, AK...

[/ QUOTE ]
At 6max I find lots of players won't fold to this size reraise so I wouldn't limit his hands too much.
[ QUOTE ]
Gonna be tough to get much money out of him unless he has a high ace or a high heart.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah. These are the hands I'm after. Can't decide if he'd check river with a Q or J flush though. At the time I was thinking good ace but I should have thought more about the flush.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:02 PM

His line confuses me, but overall I think his turn bet was simply an attempt at the pot, that's all I can read from it.

He minraised PF which says he is either not all that great or wants to build a bigger pot. Maybe like K-Q suited?

Anyway, I say you should bet about 10-15 dollars to try and extract some value. I don't think he's calling here with many holdings.

Brad
Old 05-26-2005, 02:03 PM

i'd bet the flop and check the turn
Old 05-26-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He minraised PF which says he is either not all that great or wants to build a bigger pot

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't read much into his minraise. Some people just like doing it. Maybe I should have considered it.
[ QUOTE ]
His line confuses me

[/ QUOTE ]
Apart from the minraise? In what way? How would you expect him to play a big ace postflop?
Old 05-26-2005, 05:05 PM

I find myself in these positions all the time. I need to make a flop bet to get some information and to possibly protect my hand. My problem is how much? Is 1/2 the pot adequate to generate a call/raise from a superior hand? I guess I'd bet the flop for about 1/2 the pot and see what transpires, hopefully taking the pot right there. In this case since you have a good redraw to Ax you can afford some action.

Various responses:
Call - probably Ax or two low pair.
Small raise - Ax with x x being a heart &lt; J
Big raise - in increasing order of probability; bluff, a set, two small hearts or Ax with x being Q or J of hearts.

In my opinion this tells you if u should continue or not.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:04 PM

Default Results

Thanks for the responses.
With my stack it seemed natural to push but then thought that would make it easier to fold so I bet 30. He instacalled with AsJs.

Thinking about it now, his call is so bad that I shouldn't be expending much effort on this but at the time I thought he could call with an ace if I didn't bet too much. What surprised me that he did it instantly which got me thinking I could have bet more.

What has struck me recently is how important getting these river bets right is because the amounts involved are so big.

James