Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 10:22 PM

Default Re: Non 2+2 Book Reviews

MOst of the better non 2+2 books are for other games. I am a big stud guy, and Roy West's beating Low to Mid Limit stud is excellent. I'm now on my third copy of it. This is a real good book on stud, and if you are to play at any level of stud, Chip Reese's section of Stud in SS is just timeless. It is trully perfect in each and every way. I also recomend Mike Cappelletti's Omaha 8 book, it is about good aggressvie play and has made me into a solid O8 player
Old 05-25-2005, 10:26 PM

I have the Lee Jones book. I bought it and I've seriously opened it once.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue">Internet Texas Hold'Em, by Matthew Hilger</font>
I only made it about half way through this book because much of what it contained was redundant with the other books I had read. Also, it tries to be all things for all people and winds up short-changing everybody in the process. The book purports to teach you how to play 2/4 Hold'Em AND 20/40 Hold'Em, and I just don't think that's possible -- the proper strategy for 2/4 is vastly different from the proper strategy for 20/40. I may someday get around to finishing this book, but for now I just don't see much that it uniquely adds to the collection.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read Hilger's ITH when I first started out and thought it was a very solid beginner's book. If I had read SSHE before I read ITH my opinion might have been quite different.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:01 AM

SS2 is somewhat solid. Jennifer Harmon's limit section is pretty good. More for the mid to upper limit games though. They wasted alot of pages in Mike Caros tips (all available online at his website for free) and Brunson's Pluses and Minuses on online poker. I haven't read through the omaha chapters yet and won't touch triple draw.

If you want to learn stud, Winning 7 Card stud by Ashley Adams is a must buy. That along with the 7 stud chapter of SS1 are both good.[/list]
Old 05-26-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that Feeney book everyone talks about

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, maybe that should be the advertising slogan for ITPM:

That Feeney book everyone keeps talking about

Yeah, that'll work. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
that Feeney book everyone talks about

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, maybe that should be the advertising slogan for ITPM:

That Feeney book everyone keeps talking about

Yeah, that'll work. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
As long as I get a free book for coming up with such a catchy slogan, I say go with it.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to learn stud, Winning 7 Card stud by Ashley Adams is a must buy.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have played with Ashley. He's a really nice guy. Here's what he wrote about playing in our college home game. Pretty interesting read: link.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:52 PM

I would add a couple of books I liked in addition to some of the other recommendations: "Bobby Baldwin's Winning Poker Secrets" by Mike Caro with foreward by Doyle Brunson. This is a quick read, but it has a few gems in it. Here's a sample "Hold'em mistake six: Attempting to bluff when the flop contains a jack and a ten" and then he goes on to explain why. I had never seen that anywhere else.

Also "Improve your poker" by Bob Ciaffone. If you stay at the very low limits, you may not need this book, but if you intend to move up to higher limits, I think this book has some good stuff in it....fwiw
Old 05-26-2005, 08:09 PM

I think Middle Limit Holdem Poker by Ciaffone needs a review...Im sure there will be diagreements but its an excellent book to go through.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Middle Limit Holdem Poker by Ciaffone needs a review...Im sure there will be diagreements but its an excellent book to go through.

[/ QUOTE ]
All of Ciaffone's stuff is excellent. Pot Limit and No Limit Poker is one of the best poker books ever published and Improve Your Poker is a fine collection of essays. Not as valuable as Pot Limit and No Limit, but certainly more useful than Mason's Poker Essays books, for example (although those have some good stuff in them too).