Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results:
Superman 97 55.11%
Darth Vader 79 44.89%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2005, 01:45 PM

Default Re: Poll: What is hooking up?

this phrase got me in trouble once. i came home and my recently exed gf asked me what i had been doing i told her "watching a movie with a friend". she asked if that was all and i said that me and the other girl had "hooked up". the next night the ex sex is on. and when she asked if i had slept with the other girl and i responded "yeah i already told you that". she went semi ballistic probably cost me a decent amount of ex sex but oh well i shouldnt be so honest.... silly post i guess but semi relevant..
Old 05-23-2005, 01:48 PM

The obvious answer for adults is the one between making out and oral sex. Making out happens a lot at clubs and bars and is not itself sufficient.

But there's a good case to be made that this term is all relative to how old you are. In high school, making out was deemed hooking up. But maybe that was just wishful thinking.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Highschool definition: kissing that includes tongue

College definition: generally sex and/or oral sex

[/ QUOTE ]

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 05-23-2005, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it depends on the consensus of your group of friends (though I suppose that is what Diablo is trying to garner by posting this in OOT....)

[/ QUOTE ]

When speaking with friends, it can sometimes mean making out and sometimes mean sex, but it's usually very clear from the context and the people involved.

Here, however, where I don't know the people involved, I read "I hooked up w/ this chick" in a number of posts and feel like it often means very different things. In terms of understanding a story and situation, it definitely makes a difference whether someone made out with a chick or had sex with her. Sometimes which of those two things happened is very unclear after reading some posts.

I was wondering if there was some sort of concensus among posters here, but apparently not really.

As an example, I read this post by ChoicestHops and just assumed that he had sex with this girl. Now I read Hooking up is making out. It does not include oral or intercourse. from him and it makes his initial post a totally different story.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Anything less then full make out - some hands on naughty parts and/or, lieing vertical together should not be called "hooking up".

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they are worthless?

Terms must change. The older crowd meaning for 'hooking up' simply meant that you would meet up with a girl/woman later on - From very informal meeting to a date - nothing implied beyond that. As in, for example 'we will hook up later on at Kelly's bar, they have great Jazz on saturday'.

-Old Man Zeno

I appreciate your attempt to define an ambiguous term more concretely, but dammit, the only way I want to hear about hooking up from you right now is in your Petra trip report.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:56 PM

In all honesty when I first saw this thread I thought El D's motives were to further clarify just how far he went with Petra [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2005, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think it depends on the consensus of your group of friends (though I suppose that is what Diablo is trying to garner by posting this in OOT....)

[/ QUOTE ]

When speaking with friends, it can sometimes mean making out and sometimes mean sex, but it's usually very clear from the context and the people involved.

Here, however, where I don't know the people involved, I read "I hooked up w/ this chick" in a number of posts and feel like it often means very different things. In terms of understanding a story and situation, it definitely makes a difference whether someone made out with a chick or had sex with her. Sometimes which of those two things happened is very unclear after reading some posts.

I was wondering if there was some sort of concensus among posters here, but apparently not really.

As an example, I read this post by ChoicestHops and just assumed that he had sex with this girl. Now I read Hooking up is making out. It does not include oral or intercourse. from him and it makes his initial post a totally different story.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on how old you are, I think. If you didn't bang her you didn't hook up in my book. If I were 12 I think that making out might count.

~D
Old 05-23-2005, 02:04 PM

The results of your poll are correct.