Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Direction on playing against good aggressive players

Online I've been doing fairly well but in my live game (MTT rebuy) I've been getting beat. I attribute it to the fact there are a few tight people and a few good aggressive people (not maniacs). The problem is, I'm somewhere in the middle and often the aggro's pick me apart. Against one I will often reraise big on my blind to send a message, etc. but it often doesn't work against multiple people. I've tried various strategies. I'm never trying to squeak into the money and am willing to take these guys on, I'm just not sure what kind of hands I should be doing it with, when to call rereraises, etc.
Ex. Last night I'm in the BB, good aggro player, raises 4x BB (typically doing this every 3rd or 4th hand), I reraise to 10BB, he pushes for 40BB or so. I lay down. Could very well be crap but I just can't call (I had about 33BB)
These are guys that play like MLG, Sossman, etc. What slows them down?

I'm looking for a good thread or advice where to look.

I looked into several of my books but am having trouble finding good advice.

Cheers.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:19 PM

Default Re: Direction on playing against good aggressive players

To beat your oponent, you must turn his strengths into weaknesses and use them against him. Don't attack your oponent on his strongest front. Sun-Tzu says, "If you know your enemy and you know yourself, your victory will not be in doubt." It sounds like your oponent is constantly on the attack, making you make uncomfortable decisions. To combat this, evade his attacks until you are likely the favorite and simply let him bet away. Do not reraise him if you can't stand a big reraise yourself. He can't make you make a decision if you reraise him all-in. Don't combat him on his terms; a good general fights on his own terms.

If you want a good read where you can learn more, try Tournament Poker and the Art of War by David Apostolico. It's a great book that sounds quite phylosophical, but when you figure out how to apply the concepts of Sun-Tzu to poker affectively you will very tough to defeat.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:17 PM

I am not entirely sure what you might be doing wrong. It seems like you might need to become more aggressive, but I don't know. If you haven't read this, check it out. To me, it's been worth $185 alone this week.

http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/...=14&fpart=

For me it was sort of confirmation of all the things I thought I should be doing and encouragement to get them done.

GL.

D.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:05 PM

Good thread blindcurve and good book advice nightlyraver. What I find interesting is that the book and the thread share a similar philosophy in looking more at situations than cards.