Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2005, 11:02 PM

Default Re: 100 dollars to start off with... What can I do with it?

[ QUOTE ]
seconded. very solid advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of it seems OK, but I wouldn't copy the part about playing 25NL with only 4 buy-ins.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:10 PM

Go here
Or here.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
seconded. very solid advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of it seems OK, but I wouldn't copy the part about playing 25NL with only 4 buy-ins.

[/ QUOTE ]
The whole point here is what a person who is starting with a $100 deposit can do, not what is ideal given no constraints on initial funding or table size. I stand behind my advice to start with a SINGLE TABLE at the smallest table available (but not so small that you have more than 15 buy-ins). With $100, given the choice between 1, 5, 10, and 25NL I would choose 5NL, dropping to 1NL if I fell below $50 and bumping up to 10NL once I broke $150. However, many sites don't offer games smaller than 25NL so that's where I started.

This is simply my way of doing things and it works very well for me. I always have a goal to strive towards that keeps me growing as a player and a circuit breaker to keep me in check. Your mileage may vary.

M
Old 05-14-2005, 03:32 AM

I suggest playing .25/.50. With only 200BB drop down to .05/.10 if you get to $40 or so. I know this sounds pointless and a waste, but it's a start. Play it safe, play it smart, it isn't always ecstatic.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The whole point here is what a person who is starting with a $100 deposit can do, not what is ideal given no constraints on initial funding or table size. I stand behind my advice to start with a SINGLE TABLE at the smallest table available (but not so small that you have more than 15 buy-ins). With $100, given the choice between 1, 5, 10, and 25NL I would choose 5NL, dropping to 1NL if I fell below $50 and bumping up to 10NL once I broke $150. However, many sites don't offer games smaller than 25NL so that's where I started.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't mean this as an attack on you -- you seem to be a well-disciplined person who knows what bankroll management is.

But for the original poster: we should remind you that Party/Empire is not the only place to play poker online. Pokerstars, for example, has very small NL games, with buyins of around $10 and deep stacks relative to the blinds. These games are of course soft beyond belief, and would make a great practice environment while you build your bankroll up towards the $250 -- $500 or so that would be a safer $25NL roll.