Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2005, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Solutions for when the internet goes down.

On a related note, it's worth the investment now to spend $200 or so on a good battery backup. When the power goes out with $860 (or more) on the table, you'll be glad you did it, esp. if it's out in the entire area. Plus, if you buy an add-on, you get like 5-6 hours worth of juice out of it, allowing you to keep playing and earning vs. reading some book under candlelight.

If you're playing HU with me when it happens, ignore the above advice...
Old 05-12-2005, 06:08 PM

Default intergate

Intergate is a internet gateway for your local network. It supports connection teaming.

Anyway what this jargon means is that you can simultaneously plug two different ISPz into one machine, and have your internet traffic distributed over both connections. It has failover capability. The chances that two ISPz go down at the same time are low. Do your research and pickl two completely unrelated ISPs.

So if one link goes down, you are automatically switched to the second one. The second(bakup) link can be a simple dial-up connection.

Anyway to cut a long story short, if seconds can be critical to your gameplay, then this setup fill fix your problem.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:32 PM

Get a dial-up account, at minimum. 20 bucks a month. You can even leave it on while you play, if you want to, so there is no dial-in time. You can at least 8-table very comfortably on a dial-up modem that connects with as little as 42.6 speed. I have, for a year. Now I have DSL, and kept the dial-up as back-up. And it has come in handy.

A professional player I know has cable, dial-up, and DSL. He didn't want to have one of those $860 losses like you had, so it's money extremely well spent.

Right now I'm getting Yahoo DSL at $20 a month and MSN dial-up at around $20 a month. Every even halfway serious player needs back-up.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:29 PM

well, for the most part, this works SOMEWHAT. however, most people dont really like playing 12 tables, so you have to call 2-3 people. in the time it takes to do all of that, you may be 10 minutes into the game. if yer on the bubble or 5 handed, yer screwed. get 2 backup internet connections and a couple usp's(uninterrupted power supplies.) holla
Old 05-13-2005, 01:45 PM

Easy solution. I have 2 isp's, one is Cable and the other is DSL. I have both of my modems hooked up to two separate Linksys Wireless routers. When I lose service, I simply open up my available wireless connecitons and I select the one that is working.