Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 11:36 PM

Default NL Stack Question

in Super System, Doyle advocates having all of your opponents covered if possible. He advocates having > 100 Big Blinds. But what if my opponents all by in for 30-40 big blinds. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of Doyle's strategy?
Old 05-12-2005, 12:31 AM

Default is the question clear?

I feel I may have made my question unclear.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:33 AM

Default Re: NL Stack Question

Umm, if they have 40BB and you have 100BB how do you not have them covered?
Old 05-12-2005, 04:47 PM

Default sorry, my post was unclear

I meant, doesn't Doyles strategy rely upon your opponents stacks being deep also?
Old 05-12-2005, 10:55 PM

Default Re: is the question clear?

v
Old 05-12-2005, 11:33 PM

I seem to remember a number of threads about this issue back when Party Poker changed their buy-in maximum for small stakes no limit from 50xBB to 100xBB. One of the main themes of those threads was that big broadway cards like KJ go down in value while suited connectors like 76s go up in value.

I don't remember all the details, but if you search for things like "new blind structure" or just look at the old posts from that time period you'll see a lot of relevant information.

I think it boils down to implied odds. For example, AK is great heads up or in a small field of callers, especially if you flop TPTK. But you're not going to improve much on the turn or river. And, if you're all-in on the flop after raising preflop for about 1/4 your stack, and then betting the pot on the flop with TPTK, then there are no implied odds for a OESD to call or semi-bluff raise you. With deeper stacks, some of those OESDs, small flush draws, even gut-shot straight draws with back door flush draws allow you (read dependent) to play back at a TPTK who will often fold his top pair - and give you outs with great implied odds if he calls.

That sounds about right. Did I get this right? Anybody remember any good threads from that time period?
Old 05-13-2005, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in Super System, Doyle advocates having all of your opponents covered if possible. He advocates having > 100 Big Blinds. But what if my opponents all by in for 30-40 big blinds. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of Doyle's strategy?

[/ QUOTE ]

The answer to your question is yes. If your opponents only have 30-40 big blinds then you don't have the implied odds to be playing many small suited connectors and small pairs for raises. You gotta play the big cards like AK,AQ,KQ,JJ+, etc.