Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2003, 11:10 PM

Default Re: Preferences

I know what you are saying and what the USGA did at Pinehurst was terrific. They set the course up very hard, but it had the character of the layout intact, the course spoke for itself really.
Old 03-31-2003, 01:20 AM

Default Re: Preferences

I think Johnny Miller once said the USGA could do worse than bounce the Open back & forth btwn Pebble & Shinnecock; maybe mixing in Pinehurst. This was before Bethpage & the new Torrey Pines. Helluva a rotation there.

I like Blackwolf & Pumpkin Ridge[?], and am very interested in the 2004 PGA at Whistling Straits. The top five above, tho, are certainly the class of the field.
Old 03-31-2003, 01:37 AM

Default Re: Bob Jones On What Constitutes A Grand Slam

Andy North, comparing Nicklaus with Tiger, said Nicklaus competed against Palmer, Player, Trevino and Watson, and those guys won 30 majors (I don't think it's quite 30, but maybe he included Floyd or someone else), but Tiger's "competition" has only won 8 majors (don't remember who he included in that group).

Tough to compare players or a grand slam in different eras because the times have changed so much. Sam Snead won more tournaments than anyone else, but David Love won more today than Snead won in his entire career. What incentive would there be for a Snead to go play the British Open? (I think he won it the first time he played in it, at St. Andrews in 1946.)
Old 03-31-2003, 01:45 AM

Default Re: Bob Jones On Eras From Same Article

"I think we can agree that all a man can do is beat the people who are around at the same time he is. He cannot win from those who came before any more than he can from those who may come afterward. It is human, I suppose, for every man to think that his days were the best."

Pretty accurate I think.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:22 AM

Andy North was taking a stretch of time and great golfers that was about twenty-five years or better. Also, Arnie won most of his before Jack won. Give Tiger twenty-five years, then the comparison would be more meaningful. All of the players mentioned were great golfers. But I think everyone agrees there are more players capable of winning a major now than twenty-five years ago.
And speaking of Andy North- three wins, two Opens and the Milwaukee Open (I think). Sure U.S.G.A., you're identifying the best player. (As opposed to embarrassing them)
Old 03-31-2003, 10:47 AM

North is an argument against the set-up. But then again, all majors have their unusual winners.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:24 PM

I've never seen a stronger past champions list than Colonial. Even with Sergio & Frost, and no Tiger.