Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2005, 12:11 AM

Default Considering the small stack, what\'s my play here?

The small stack is SMALL.

Even though he is VERY small, do you still get mixed up hands such as this?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (4 handed) converter

Button (t1790)
SB (t585)
Hero (t1480)
UTG (t4145)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t300.

Flop: (t1350) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero pushes, right?
Old 05-04-2005, 12:14 AM

Default Re: Considering the small stack, what\'s my play here?

Seems fine to me.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:27 AM

If you are going to call the raise, why not push pre-flop? you are pretty much pot commited anyway. That being said, yes push this flop.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:58 AM

yep I would have moved in preflop too. I like being sure I can totally double up in this position, so I will gamble a little. And as far as postflop, I think I would check to him. He calls with an ace if you push yes, but he won't call with anything else. I him a chance to bluff. Even if he took the free card, it's not going to hurt you with this board. If he has nothing you still got to get him to bluff. You need to double up.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:01 AM

I'd push this preflop. Yes SB is about to get blinded out but you aren't by any means still ok if he doubles up. With 4 BB and a monster hand I'd push pre flop and be putting UTG on on roughly top 60%. The pot is a nice t1050 at this point. Don't give UTG a chance to catch a hand by letting him see the flop cheap. UTG probably anticipates your playing very tight because the money is almost there for you.

Given the way you decided to play, pushing is the only play once your ace falls.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are going to call the raise, why not push pre-flop? you are pretty much pot commited anyway. That being said, yes push this flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Push or go for the check raise. If you are not doing one of those you should be folding preflop. I also don't mind pushing preflop. There is a decent change your up against a dominated ace or king. Folding preflop seems weak to me but it might be slightly ev+
Old 05-04-2005, 01:14 AM

Good advice guys, I was thinking a PF push would have been good too.

To make a long story short I pushed on the flop and he called with JJ.

He rivered a jack, but that's not really important here, heh.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:42 AM

I think you have to push this hand espcially if UTG is a decent player at all. He knows there is a short stack and its going to be very hard for anyone to call a raise. I put his range here on about any two if hes decent. He really can't call an all in with most of these hands. Thefore I push.

Given you called, push the flop. A check raise is very dangerous as you don't want to give someone a free chance to beat you on the bubble with a short stack. Do whatever you can to win this hand immediately.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:52 AM

The problem with pushing preflop is that UTG has a fat stack and will be getting about 2:1 on the call. I think he calls with a lot of hands here, and on the bubble with an uber short stack is not the time for this. I like calling, and playing a good flop. On a beautiful board like this I prefer the checkraise all in, but if it were more coordinated, say AT9 two suited, I'd just shove.

-Kings
Old 05-04-2005, 05:01 AM

stop n go. If you push he is almost certain to call since hes getting very good odds. If you call then push on the flop theres a much better chance he will fold. I think this flop is an obvious checkraise though. He is likely to push a wide range of hands knowing that you can't easily call, and even if he checks behind there's no card that will likely help him. The only way he is checking behind is if he is drawing to a 2 outer or a runner runner.