Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2005, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Daniel N challenges anyone to a HU match.

[ QUOTE ]
If I was Phil Ivey, I'd run, not walk to the Wynn and play 7 card stud for a series of 100k matches. That is big time +EV for him.

[/ QUOTE ]

y not 500k?
Old 05-01-2005, 04:20 PM

All of the big game players could pool their money and challenge him to the game/s of their choice. Put 4 or 5 challenges in front of him, which he makes a "priority" and you could get a very tired Negreanu playing fresh players in their game of choice.
Old 05-01-2005, 04:33 PM

With only 30BB for a 100k match or 50BB for 500k the luck factor seems to be pretty high. Why would he he want such a structure?

Martin Aigner
Old 05-01-2005, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Apparently he's the best SH PL Omaha player there is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, because...that's a quantifiable fact.
Old 05-01-2005, 04:43 PM

I could be mistaken here but it seems like the Wynn is not going to take the big games away from the Bellagio. That's not good for Daniel, both because I believe he was expected to bring some of those games there and because I believe he pledged not to play anywhere in Vegas but the Wynn.

If I am right about the above, his challenge makes a lot of sense, even if he might be a small underdog in a few spots. Give up a tiny bit of EV to get some action down to his place.

As for me, I have little headup experience. In spite of that, a 100K freezout in stud hi-lo with no qualifier (his list didn't stipulate a qualifier) and a smallish ante is a game I ought to be a favorite in. But still not enough to make it worth my risk and time. Unless he can also get good TV and media coverage. If he can, I think he's got me.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But still not enough to make it worth my risk and time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 05-01-2005, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, because...that's a quantifiable fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basing this off of other player's word. Obviously meant "one of the best" SH PL Omaha players.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I was Phil Ivey, I'd run, not walk to the Wynn and play 7 card stud for a series of 100k matches. That is big time +EV for him.

[/ QUOTE ]

from DN's post...
[ QUOTE ]
I won't refuse anyone. The only stipulation I have is that if I lose a match to someone I have the right to take my lumps like a man and quit. If Phil Ivey comes down to the Wynn and plays me heads up for $500,000 for example, I won't back down. In my opinion, he is a better Stud player than me, but I'll play him anyway and hopefully learn a thing or two.

If I'm lucky enough to win, I'd gladly give him a rematch. If I feel truly outclassed, I won't accept any more challenges in that game from him. However, he is welcome to choose a new game from the list.

[/ QUOTE ]

So Daniel doesn't have to continue to play Phil in 7stud if he doesn't want to. Phil could go down the list though, and make $500K challenges in any game that he thought he had +EV.
I also(and maybe DS could help out on this one) wonder how many random richies would want to come down and play for fun. If that number is high, than I think Daniel could be in a winning situation. However if the ONLY people he ever played were the best in the world at their best games(even if only once), I think it would be tough to break even.

-Travis
Old 05-01-2005, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I could be mistaken here but it seems like the Wynn is not going to take the big games away from the Bellagio. That's not good for Daniel, both because I believe he was expected to bring some of those games there and because I believe he pledged not to play anywhere in Vegas but the Wynn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, this sheds a very minor amount of light on the dynamics of the big game. There has been (very) occasional speculation that Daniel N is the relative fish in that game (of course, there has been the same speculation about everybody). The worse player he is perceived to be, the more likely he'd be able to start a game at the Wynn, or so one would think.

(Not asking for comment, this is just an observation)

(Edited to add "perceived")
Old 05-01-2005, 08:03 PM

What does that picture even mean?

And I still cringe every time I see your avatar.