Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2005, 09:55 AM

Default Stud 8 or Better Question

Is Stud/8 as profitable as Omaha/8? Also, what about bankroll requirements for Stud/8 (because they are pretty small for Omaha/8)?

Also, what are some good books for a brand new Stud/8 player (but do NOT just list begginner books, but also some advanced books for after a little bit of playing experience)?
Old 04-26-2005, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Stud 8 or Better Question

[ QUOTE ]
Is Stud/8 as profitable as Omaha/8? Also, what about bankroll requirements for Stud/8 (because they are pretty small for Omaha/8)?

Also, what are some good books for a brand new Stud/8 player (but do NOT just list begginner books, but also some advanced books for after a little bit of playing experience)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd read the Stud8b SS2 Chapter and then Ray Zee's Hi/Lo book.

I'm not sure, but I'd venture a guess that in general the Omaha8 games are more profitable. People find more excuses to play more hands in that game. Depends on the limits you wish to play though.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:04 AM

Ray Zee's book is the only one you'll ever need, whether you're playing $.25/.50 or $40/80.

I find stud/8 more profitable than Omaha/8. I play stud/8 better, and I don't get bored. I can sit in a $1/2 stud/8 game on-line, and I won't play $.50 boredom hands. Much. When I play in my local $20/40 Omaha/8 game with a half-kill, I limp in with $20 and $30 boredom hands from time to time. Still, it's hard to beat a really juicy Omaha/8 game for pure profitability. YMMV

I'm not the guy to ask about bankroll requirements, but they're smaller for stud/8 than for any other game.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But both games are great. My favorite aspect is when you have one half locked up and are freerolling for the other. At times when you have multiple people trapped in the middle, and your draw comes in, its better than sex.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:19 AM

Ummm, have you ever actually had sex?
Old 04-26-2005, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At times when you have multiple people trapped in the middle, and your draw comes in, its better than sex.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to change partners....
Old 04-26-2005, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ummm, have you ever actually had sex?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course and skirt chasing is one of my favorite hobbies...but poker lasts longer lol
Old 04-28-2005, 02:52 AM

stud/8 is more fun. more skill needed for maximum profit. but may have less bad players in it than omaha.
as for books read all books if you are capable of weeding out bad advice in some, or you may find out the hard way if you follow like a lemming.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course and skirt chasing is one of my favorite hobbies...but poker lasts longer lol

[/ QUOTE ]

I see 2 ways that this can be true :

1. You go after hookers.
2. You are so hideously ugly that no chick can bare to look at you, let alone talk to you.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:57 AM

"At times when you have multiple people trapped in the middle, and your draw comes in, its better than sex."

I read this and for some reason my eyes immediately caught the words "sex" and "multiple people trapped in the middle." Maybe I need to stop browsing the forum in the middle of the night. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]