Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2005, 01:02 PM

Default Poker is a great game

Great post -

This is why poker is such an amazing, great game. Tools like this come out, and the truly good, top players get more edge out of them. Then the majority of poker players misuse / misinterpret their results and become worse at playing poker or stunt their poker growth, making it even better for the best players.

I love playing multi-tabling NL players who are using p-tracker to do all their thinking. Lets just say their games lack creativity and I make money off them...
Old 04-27-2005, 02:41 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Dangers of pokertracker stats

http://tinyurl.com/c5vp7

i still get PMs for my 3/6 stats constantly and this is the reason i haven't released them
Old 04-27-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Great post. I played live yesterday with a guy who played the players and the table maybe better than anyone I've ever seen. I don't think half the guys there recognized what he was doing. He was an excellent poker player and, if he was being recorded on tracker and his play viewed strictly online, he would've looked like a foolish maniac.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good observation. Natural aggressive players like this feast on play-by-numbers types. Since natural aggressives play differently against each player or combination of players according to the situation, their stats are misleading. What good does it do a tight aggressive player to know how I play against an average player if I have a completely different game plan against a tight aggressive player? What good will it do a tight aggressive player to chase a statistical target when that statistical target is correct only in the aggregate?

I do use Poker Tracker a good amount, but mostly to view long-term statistics and analyze trouble hands at particular levels of play.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i still get PMs for my 3/6 stats constantly and this is the reason i haven't released them

[/ QUOTE ]

You should consider releasing them as part of a Nobel Prize submission.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should consider releasing them as part of a Nobel Prize submission.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed - beating 3/6 for 100k hands is certainly worthy of a Nobel Prize(in patience).
-James
Old 04-27-2005, 05:03 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i'm getting questions from multiple sources wondering "why i am playing 3/6". it would be funny to respond indvidually with lies about going bust, but i don't want this to get annoying. i've been playing mid limits online for a long time. i was regularly 2-tabling the party 20/40 and wanted to experiment with bigger multitabling (a basically unmentioned concept at the time). to test out whether or not i'd be able to pull it off, i played 100k hands of 3/6.

i ended up posting the results in a thread about sklansky's 50k/yr comment in SSH on the book forum. small stakes/internet forum players flocked to it. i removed them because people were PMing me constantly asking how to get whatever stat higher or lower, i realized i was probably doing more harm than good with people trying to mimic my numbers without reasoning.

the hands were played in 2003.