Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 02:21 PM

Default Re: weak trips on 1st hand of 22... right to fold?

I would call here. I would call even though the way you've played the hand announces "I have trips" and Roberta moved in anyway. I would call even though A-4 suited is the only hand Roberta could have that would make any sense. I would call because usually you are going to get shown some sort of random crap, double up, and go on to at least place in the tournament.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:22 PM

bleh... poop on me...

guess i shoulda called now that i'm reading everyone's responses...

yea... i checked the flop thinking w. that many people someone would stab then i would checkraise... and yes i got a little more action than i bargained for... buti guess i played it weak...
Old 04-25-2005, 02:31 PM

The funny thing I've learned at the 10/20 on Party is that you really just have to assume everyone is an idiot until they prove otherwise. You'll get caught by a monster now and then, but so much more often you'll bump people out while shaking your head wondering why they got all their money in the pot with their crappy hand.

I've also found that it is almost always correct to just bet your good hands and keep betting them. Sometimes everyone folds and that kinda sucks, but often enough people call along with really dumb hands and pay you off way more than if you try to get fancy. I almost never slow play anything any more, and I definitely get a lot more value out of my hands.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:34 PM

Don't check this flop.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:47 PM

eek, I really think you shouldn't be asking this question. Good players make laydowns, this is the $22s, sometimes you run into bigger hands, big deal. I don't mean to be rude, but this is screaming CALL.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:45 PM

In a 22 an easy call if you lose move on to the next too many loose crazy stupid calls at this level not to call.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:47 PM

Folding here is terrible. They will have trips less than 25% of the time, and when they do, you often have plenty of outs to split. Put yourself in their shoes...would you push allin for 800 in such a small pot if you had trips here? A lot of people will slowplay and just call, or raise a small amount to encourage action.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Put yourself in their shoes...would you push allin for 800 in such a small pot if you had trips here? A lot of people will slowplay and just call, or raise a small amount to encourage action.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the key - you checked, hoping to check-raise and then psyched yourself out of the pot, but only because you didn't think it all the way through. There are only two hands you're scared of, KK and a stronger 4, but if you think about the bet you're facing, you'd realize that nobody would play either of those hands by trying to push everyone else out of the pot. This screams to me of a flush draw, a king/x, or my favorite, A/K that hits TPTK but goes all-in because they are now scared of draws they let in because they didn't raise pre-flop.

gotta call next time,
ts-
Old 04-25-2005, 04:58 PM

I think your trips beats their top pair - had to chase off the flush draw. Besides... what other flop could you realistically have hoped for?
Old 04-25-2005, 04:59 PM

Also note that the only 4 that we are deathly afraid of, is A4 (and unfortunately it should be the most common). Even against a hand like J4, we have about 30% equity from the pot because of all the split hands. You even have 17% equity against the dreaded A4. These small factors may not seem like much, but when combined with the huge liklihood that you are already winning, they should push you towards calling.

(Note that I would call anyway and wouldn't need the additional satisfaction of knowing I will split versus many trip hands, however it's good to take it into account.)