Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2005, 11:14 AM

Default Re: STEP Higher - 100k to winner

Yeah, I just edited my post to look better.

edit: Looking at S5 again, no one at that buyin with Party blinds will be playing anything less than optimal poker HU. It's gonna be a coinflip for 70 thousand dollars. You're gonna need a LOT more than 30 buyins for this to work...600K may be a low end estimate.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There's half a dozen online regulars (not B&M pros) I can think of that can scrape together 20 buyins if they try...maybe. I'm only sure of two, maybe three. But 20 buyins at this level is not even close to what you need.

Add in collusion...no. You'd need a million to make a run at these *and* nine other people that'll fill up a game. I guess they could all sit around waiting for a sucker to move up the ladder but how long would that take???

[/ QUOTE ]

I am confident there are more people out there who could buy into these direct than you think. I can think of four off the top of my head who have this kind of e-currency and the willingness to put it into action (and the requisite poker skills), and these are separate from the half-dozen or so you are thinking of. I feel certain there are more, but whatever. Time will tell, and it's not that important anyway.

As far as collusion goes, I think you may be underestimating the allure of this kind of money. I would posit that a team of three experts colluding should conservatively be able to achieve a 10% ROI in this game, and they wouldn't encounter all that much variance while they did it. That works out to about $1500/hr, which is high enough to attract people to do it, even if the games don't go off all that often.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:21 AM

Yea, Im definitely [censored] around all weekend with 30 buy-ins to Step 2. I should easily be able to bounce around and get to step 4/5 by the end of the weekend. My fear is that it will take 2 hours to fill up step 5s!

Jared
Old 04-22-2005, 11:24 AM

Im not talking about 30 buy-ins at step 5. Im referring to 30 buy-ins at step 2. I truly think I can get to a few step 5s from that. And with that just cash in 1.

-Jared
Old 04-22-2005, 11:29 AM

Hands down the most troubling thought about the $15000+500 is collusion.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:29 AM

Those of you willing to take a shot at this, say you're even stacked playing heads-up and the other guy offers to split, do you take it?
Old 04-22-2005, 11:30 AM

If you're twice as good as the competition, I give you a 40% chance to make one S5H from 30 buyins.

I have about a 900% ROI in the Step 5 2 tables so I know it's tempting, but the time investment, collusion even in S4 never mind 5...yuck. This MAY be a good long term bet but it is gonna unbelievably suck to actually play it.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:30 AM

Good luck to you then, post your results, I'd be interested to read. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-22-2005, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Those of you willing to take a shot at this, say you're even stacked playing heads-up and the other guy offers to split, do you take it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who'd take an anonymous person on the internet's word that he'd gladly hand over 35k is a hell of a lot more trusting than I'd be.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, because Party support won't police it, even for $70K. It's ridiculous and another reason not to bother.