Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2005, 08:53 PM

Default Party Dallas Mavericks Freeroll fiasco

This past weekend, I was sitting on my couch watching TV, when all of a sudden I see a poker table pop up on my computer. To my surprise, it seems that I was entered into the Dallas Mavericks Freeroll which gave away $19200 in Mavericks prize packages.

I think to myself "this makes no sense. I never entered this. I don't live anywhere near Texas."

Anyways, I look around at a few of the tourney tables, and it seems that the tourney, which has about 610 entrants, is almost all folding every hand. They are all Away! Now I know something strange is going on. Clearly, it is just by chance that I am logged on and have noticed this tourney, but the vast majority of other players in this tourney have not.

So I do what anybody would probably do here. I start min raising every hand. My table is all away so I figure I'll just see where this little party screw up goes. Well, about 45 minutes later, i have increased my 1000 starting stack to almost 10,000 and I'm about to finally bust a player. I've been watching many of the other tables, and out of 610, I count about 40 active players. Most of them are doing exactly what I am doing.

Finally, my table breaks up as players start to bust and I am not lucky enough to land on a second ghost table. From here on out, I am faced with a real opponent or two on in the midst of all the dead money. After a bit of table talk, many of us start to put the puzzle together. We all use the same affilliate - PSO. Well, all but about 3 or 4 others from Dallas who actually are Mavericks fans.

Around this same time, A lot of spectators start showing up in chat complaining that they couldn't register for this tourney and asking how we managed to get into this thing.

Well, it's starting to become clear to me. This tourney was for Mavericks fans who used a special promo code in their sign up, or in their last deposit, or even just as a password. Party has somehow taken that list and swapped it with the PSO customer list, or maybe the registration list for the last PSO freroll. Somehow a few actual Dallas entries have made it also who had never heard of PSO.

But here I am, and the field was getting down to almost all real players. Basically I've got a 1/50 shot at this prize pool which paid the top ten finishers as follows:

1st - Season tickets to 2006 Mavericks games, 4 luxury suite tickets to 2005 playoff game, Autographed Mavericks Jersey, and dinner with billionaire owner Mark Cuban before the game ($4200 value)
2nd - 4 luxury suite tickets to playoff game, and autographed jersey ($2900 value)
3rd to 7th - 2 luxury suite tickets to playoff game and autographed jersey ($1700 value)
8th to 10th - 2 tickets to playoff game and autographed jersey ($1200 value)

And so I play...

And I finish 3rd! In what I suppose is some justice, the top two finishers are both legitimate entries who have no knowledge of PSO. They know something was messed up, but they are big Dallas Mav fans and can both use the prizes.

Great, right? A $1700 prize for playing in a tourney that I never expected to play and which pretty much took me by surprise anyways.

But there are a few issues here.

Party said that they would announce prize details on monday and then postponed that to today. It still hasn't happened. In my phone conversations with them, it's still not clear to me that they have any idea anything went wrong. I'm sure there are a lot of angry players from Dallas who have also talked to them so maybe this is the nature of the delay and maybe they know full well that they screwed up and are just trying to figure out what to do. Then again, in the tourney chat a few angry texans reported being told by Party's support "tough luck".

What can Party do here? Will they run this tourney again? Can they not award prizes because of the mix up? As I see it, I'm not exactly entitled to anything, but I'd still be very sorry to get nothing. It also wouldn't surprise me if it ended up being something that would be very hard for me to claim. After all, I'm probably going to have to ebay these tickets and if I don't get a lot of notice, that could be difficult.

Has anybody heard about this? Any news on what's going to happen?

Opinions? Anybody want cheap playoff tickets or a autographed Mavericks Jersey?
[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Regards
Brad S
Old 04-20-2005, 08:59 PM

Default Re: Party Dallas Mavericks Freeroll fiasco

That's wild stuff.

Which player is it? (If you know)
Old 04-20-2005, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Which player is it? (If you know)

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume that you mean the Jersey. Nope, I don't know.

Actually, here is a confession which makes this story even more funny...

I had no idea there was even a team called the Mavericks. When I started looking at the tourney, I assumed that it was a football team. I couldn't tell you a single player on that team, and have never watched a basketball game to completion in my life.

Regards
Brad S
Old 04-22-2005, 07:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

| | | Inbox
Dear Brad Sxxxxxx,

Congratulations on winning in the PartyPoker.com Dallas Mavericks Freeroll Tournament. Your poker skills have won you a gift that will make you the envy of your buddies.

Your amazing prize is two exclusive suite tickets to see your favorite team in a home playoff game. At the game you will also receive an autographed Mavs jersey.

Keep your diary free on May 3rd or 4th, because you will be going to the Mavs game on one of those dates. As this is in the second round of the playoffs there is a possibility that the Rockets win. Should this unlikely event occur then your suite tickets will be transferred to a regular game next year.

You can pick up your prize at the Mavericks ticket window on the day, just bring along a photo ID for identification purposes.

Thank you for playing at PartyPoker.com, the world’s largest poker room. With bigger jackpots, more tournaments and more players than all other poker rooms combined we hope that you will continue to make PartyPoker.com your first choice for online poker

Yours truly,
PartyPoker.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Grrreeeeeeaaaaaaat

Truly this is an "amazing prize" and yes, I'm sure I'll be the "envy of all my buddies". After all, who wouldn't want tickets to a basketball game thousands of miles that they have no hope of claiming.

So what now?

Regards
Brad S
Old 04-22-2005, 08:44 AM

You should sell off the rest of your last name! Then have the purchaser whip up a fake out-of-state ID.

...beyond this not so serious suggestion, I have no idea. I would love to see your name actually auctioned off on ebay though!

"Purchase my last name - valued at $1700"
Old 04-22-2005, 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody want cheap playoff tickets or a autographed Mavericks Jersey?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dibs.

Edit: I just saw your second post with the e-mail. There's a very real chance that if you e-mail Mark Cuban that he will respond. mark.cuban at dallasmavs.com
Old 04-22-2005, 08:46 AM

sure, if you want your last name to be goldenpalace.com
Old 04-22-2005, 09:03 AM

You should go and scalp the ticket. You would end up getting a free vacation to Dallas. You could also put it on ebay and arrange to meet the buyer (if that is feasable). Dallas is a pretty fun city, if your into the club scene FWIW. Just pop down there for a couple days and you would probably come out $1000 ahead after paying for airfair and hotel.