Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2005, 10:03 AM

Default KK hand early on

I dont like how this hand turned out. Often when I get KK or QQ in the early rounds I dont know what to do when the overs come. Should I have just check folded? I know I should not have called his 70 chip reraise on the turn. This is an 11 which is probably why its 6 handed 30 BB.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (6 handed) converter

CO (t885)
Button (t2445)
Hero (t775)
BB (t1630)
UTG (t1540)
MP (t725)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls t30, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls t30, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG folds, Button calls t120.

Flop: (t360) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: (t360) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t70</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t140</font>, Hero calls t70.

River: (t640) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: t640
Old 04-21-2005, 10:33 AM

Default Re: KK hand early on

I really dont care what flops with KK in my hand. I will at least attempt to bet. Overcards does not mean that your HU partner has an Ace..He might have JJ QQ or TT and you betting on the A shows that you probably have it. Gotta stab and if you get called or raised be ready to toss it. If you get called a Check Fold on the turn is your best play.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really dont care what flops with KK in my hand. I will at least attempt to bet. Overcards does not mean that your HU partner has an Ace..He might have JJ QQ or TT and you betting on the A shows that you probably have it. Gotta stab and if you get called or raised be ready to toss it. If you get called a Check Fold on the turn is your best play.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-21-2005, 10:39 AM

Ditto. You've got to know where you stand, and most of the time you're going to take it right there with a pot-sized or 3/4 pot bet, and there shouldn't be anything wrong with that. A raise generally drives me off, a call means your opponent has an A in most cases - turn and river betting depends on my read of the opponent after that.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:42 AM

Honestly, I don't even think a pot-sized bet is necessary. Even 3/4 might be a little much, since one of your goals in a Party SNG is to conserve chips early. You might be able to get away with a flop bet of 150-180. If he calls/raises, you can get away from the hand without much damage to your stack.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:42 AM

3/4 or pot sized bet is wrong. Thats risking way too much of your stack. With a PFR and a bet of almost anything on the flop if they dont have an A they are pretty much folding unless they're an idiot. Ring game and 3/4 of the pot is not too bad but in STT's you are risking too much to cripple yourself.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:50 AM

If someone raises big into you (pf), just push da chips man. Post folp, it's a call I would not want to make. In SNG's there's not a better place to get your money in. There are so many nuts out there, that will push with anything. B&amp;M, I would play it differently.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:56 AM

HE PFR'ed. He was out of position when they called the flop. He has to Bet. You cant check and let them steal it from you.