Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Assuming no other negative side effects, which would you rather have?
Balls 77 81.05%
15 extra years (and a healthier life) 18 18.95%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-2005, 12:27 AM

Default How much would you pay for 2+2? Gauge of interest

This idea was floated and with some of the crap that is going on around here lately I really think they should think about going to a one time membership cost, or maybe maybe a 'special' group of forums for people that pay a membership fee. I know I would pay a fee if it helped clean things up around here, the only thing is it may make things tricky when banning people or what not. But I still pose the question... How much would you consider a reasonable amount to pay, once, for access to the forum. Discuss.
~Justin
Old 04-12-2005, 12:30 AM

Default Re: How much would you pay for 2+2? Gauge of interest

They would have to fix their afternoon freeze up problem first.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:30 AM

If reading this forum required me paying for it, then yes, I would. I highly doubt Mason would ever implement anything like this though.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:31 AM

this has been discussed, but its not a good idea. at least not in my opinion.

also, i would pay somewhere around $10,000 for a lifetime membership to these forums if i had to. im serious about that btw. however, i feel comfortable freely admitting that, because twoplustwo could not actually get me to pay that money to them. for 1, if they charged everybody 10k there would be no members. the community would die. i therefore wouldnt pay.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:32 AM

Just a hypothetical. I think it would be a good idea perhaps, as they could even hire another mod to help with things, or have this forum be a financial help more than a liability sans ads, as the member fees would help 2+2's bottom line as well and at the same time cut down on the scum, I think a pay members only section would be great personally.
~Justin
Old 04-12-2005, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it would be a good idea perhaps, as they could even hire another mod to help with things

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally I think they should already have more mods. But anyways I wouldn't be opposed to paying like $20 one time if it meant really fast forums that were well moderated (though that might not be as much of an issue with paying members). But as it stands right now I have six 2+2 books and I'll be buying more in the future - so I'm already contributing in a way.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:49 AM

My single biggest problem with the idea of paying to keep out the riff-raff is it's a government type solution - penalize the good folks to solve the problem.

When I ran an email list I had everyone moderated until I decided to unmoderate them. Some 'tard signs up and spamed the list, nobody but me knew about it.

That said, I'm about totally over the various trolls 'net wide. This has been one of the worst school years on record.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:51 AM

I think it's a super idea, charging a one time fee on the Somethingawful forums made a dramatic difference in forum quality before and after the forums were pay to play.

Of course the issues here could be solved by appointing a few new moderators and clamping down.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:54 AM

I think they should make people login/ register before reading forums. Forums should be free unless there some really good reason for them not to be. This would be the same as somebody sugessting since google is the best search engine they should start charging. Well if they did then somebody would just make one as good and charge nothing. The reason google made its first profits where from advertisments and from looking at my screen I can see the people in charge where smart enough to do the same. They should be able to make enough each year off ads to pay for the domain name and the cost for the servers..Surprising whoever made this web page choose to waste money on the forum software when IMO, they should have used http://www.phpbb.com. Anyway support open source!
later,
whatsgoingon
Old 04-12-2005, 12:56 AM

Why are you assuming that the riff-raff can't afford to pay?