Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2005, 08:21 PM

Default Critique This Play - Feedback Please

Names have been changed to protect the weak.
What's your opinion on the play by the two people in the hand, both MMMMMMMMMM and XXXXXXXXXX?
thanks

PokerStars Game #1420282039: Tournament #6232411, Hold'em No Limit - Level IV (50/100) - 2005/03/26 - 15:41:43 (ET) Table '6232411 2' Seat #7 is the button Seat 1: DDDDDDDDDD (5050 in chips)
Seat 2: MMMMMMMMMM (2495 in chips)
Seat 3: TTTTTTTTTT (3150 in chips)
Seat 4: KKKKKKKKKK (5575 in chips)
Seat 5: XXXXXXXXXX (3250 in chips)
Seat 6: SSSSSSSSSS (2485 in chips)
Seat 7: WWWWWWWWWW (2520 in chips)
Seat 9: RRRRRRRRRR (1350 in chips)
RRRRRRRRRR: posts small blind 50
DDDDDDDDDD: posts big blind 100
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to XXXXXXXXXX [Kh Ks]
MMMMMMMMMM: raises 200 to 300
TTTTTTTTTT: calls 300
KKKKKKKKKK: calls 300
XXXXXXXXXX: raises 2950 to 3250 and is all-in
SSSSSSSSSS: folds
WWWWWWWWWW: folds
RRRRRRRRRR: folds
DDDDDDDDDD: folds
MMMMMMMMMM: calls 2195 and is all-in
TTTTTTTTTT: folds
KKKKKKKKKK: folds
*** FLOP *** [2d 3c 4d]
*** TURN *** [2d 3c 4d] [9d]
*** RIVER *** [2d 3c 4d 9d] [5h]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
MMMMMMMMMM: shows [Qs As] (a straight, Ace to Five)
XXXXXXXXXX: shows [Kh Ks] (a pair of Kings)
MMMMMMMMMM collected 5740 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 5740 | Rake 0
Board [2d 3c 4d 9d 5h]
Seat 1: DDDDDDDDDD (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 2: MMMMMMMMMM showed [Qs As] and won (5740) with a straight, Ace to Five Seat 3: TTTTTTTTTT folded before Flop Seat 4: KKKKKKKKKK folded before Flop Seat 5: XXXXXXXXXX showed [Kh Ks] and lost with a pair of Kings Seat 6: SSSSSSSSSS folded before Flop (didn't bet) Seat 7: WWWWWWWWWW (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet) Seat 9: RRRRRRRRRR (small blind) folded before Flop
Old 03-26-2005, 08:35 PM

Default Re: Critique This Play - Feedback Please

pretty standard play by xx. MM thought xx was trying to steal the pot and got lucky.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:15 PM

I don't like the all-in move here. You had a 3BB raise with two callers. It is quite possible that you could be behind right here to AA. I would have limped probably and waited to see the action on the flop.

If it was checked to me I would have made a pot size bet with the intention of taking it down right there. If I was called or someone came over the top I would fold this hand.

It is quite likely that someone has AA and you are beat. As it was because of the flop and preflop raises you know someone has an Ace probably and the straight draw, and if someone calls your big flop bet you know they probably have AA and the straight draw. I would be done with this hand.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like the all-in move here. You had a 3BB raise with two callers. It is quite possible that you could be behind right here to AA. I would have limped probably and waited to see the action on the flop.

If it was checked to me I would have made a pot size bet with the intention of taking it down right there. If I was called or someone came over the top I would fold this hand.

It is quite likely that someone has AA and you are beat. As it was because of the flop and preflop raises you know someone has an Ace probably and the straight draw, and if someone calls your big flop bet you know they probably have AA and the straight draw. I would be done with this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is terrible advice

if someone has AA then i'm going down with the ship

i'd reraise to 1k and push any flop. (without an A? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img])
Old 04-09-2005, 03:42 PM

I agree with Willie. I really dislike the all-in preflop. It just isn't a strong play because you have a hand that you can get a lot of players to call with weaker hands before the flop and commit all their chips with top pair on the board to your overpair. You HAVE to raise with your KK when it gets to you, and I think a raise to 1000 would be a fantastic play. You probably could have saved yourself busting out, or got someone to commit on the flop with a hand like 99 or JJ even
Old 04-09-2005, 04:50 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with Willie. I really dislike the all-in preflop. It just isn't a strong play because you have a hand that you can get a lot of players to call with weaker hands before the flop and commit all their chips with top pair on the board to your overpair. You HAVE to raise with your KK when it gets to you, and I think a raise to 1000 would be a fantastic play. You probably could have saved yourself busting out, or got someone to commit on the flop with a hand like 99 or JJ even

[/ QUOTE ]
While I agree that a raise to 1000-1200 is the best play, pushing isn't terrible.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:28 PM

First off, there is not nearly enough evidence here to make me believe that someone has me beat (AA) before the flop. That is just insane.

I'm trying to make as much money as possible with this hand and I think a raise to about 1000 is the best way to do that. The reason I don't push is because I want to get action here.

Now, if you know someone (namely MMM) is likely to call your all-in with hands like Ax or medium pairs then a push becomes correct because you are a huge favorite before the flop.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:41 PM

well on this hand they need to have AA, AK-A2 would have won this hand.

Why risk everything preflop? What did the all in accomplish? are you going to get any marginal hands to call? probably not.

If you make a nice reraise preflop you are not committed to the hand should the flop be bad for you. KK is a great hand preflop, but once the flop hits that hand changes value like every other hand.

If someone had AK, AQ, AJ they just might throw it away to a big flop bet. AA QQ and a few other pp won't fold. You have a higher possibility of winning the hand on the flop with a bet when the flop misses them.

By going all in like this you have taken any strategic moves out of the mix.

If you had a 1000 chips left on the river would you have bet them? Well, I wouldn't and I would have chips to continue playing. Blind levels are not out of control so there is plenty of play to go.