Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2005, 05:58 PM

Default tough hand, chase this even with proper pot odds?

home game tournament, 20$ buy in, 9 players at the start, 2nd place gets $ back, 1st takes the rest. 3 players left. I have about 60$ worth of chips, I barely have villain covered. Other guy is at about 20$ worth of chips. blinds just got raised to 3/6. Villain is a very tight player, not very aggresive though.

Pre-flop
button folds, Hero in SB completes with 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], BB checks.
Flop is j74 rainbow
hero checks, villain bets 6$, which gives me 3 to 1 odds to call my open ender. I call. I also like my implied odds that he will pay me the rest of his chips if i make my straight.
Turn is 4 (no flush draw)
i check, villain goes for another 6, pot now gives me 5 to 1 to call, I briefly consider the possibility that I am drawing dead, but I call.
River is a 3
What is my action?

Was it stupid of me to chase considering I was chip leader and my stack is only 10xBB. I did have correct pot odds to call, however since minimum bet is 10X% of my stack, maybe i shouldn't? I will post the results later today, Any comments in general are really appreciated... Thanks,

Kyle
Old 04-08-2005, 06:12 PM

Default Re: tough hand

The main problem this hand poses for you is that you are out of position. Don't draw out of position because you can't buy a free card, you can't make a regular raise, and you are stuck making an extraction decision when you do hit(as you had to do here). Either make a solid C/R on the flop and try to take the pot right there, or fold this hand and wait for position.

-Trail
Old 04-08-2005, 06:18 PM

this should be in the tourny section.

but my action would be to push on the river, if he has the house, your out, if he doesn't, you have a very decent stab at 1st.

you have too many of your chips (%) in the middle at this point to even consider anything else really, you chased for the straight, you caught it, make the most of it.

i like the implied odd's on the flop and turn only if you know that he will be pot dedicated should you catch your straight (won't fold to a push)

however, the only questionable move is post flop play, do you really want to risk your shot at the cash with an OESD?

although you retain the option to fold, the damage this chase does to your chances of getting in the money is debatably not worth while.

im not sure how i would play this, depends on how confident i am of getting into the money should i fold this hand.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:19 PM

good point, I never really thought about position. He can also bet me off my hand on the turn, in that case I would want the pot to pay out 5-1 on the flop. I was actually hoping he would just bet me off my hand on the flop. So after the bad play on the flop, should I call the turn bet and check-fold if I don't like the river? or should I fold to the turn bet as well?
Old 04-08-2005, 06:20 PM

meh for some reason i thought this was a NL tourny
Old 04-08-2005, 06:32 PM

It is, sorry I am new to these boards, I didn't see the tournament forum right away. My fault, ya I probably shouldn't have chased, as when I fold this I have lost 1/3 of my stack.

The results: i push all in, he says i hope you don't have pocket 7's or pocket j's, i start to feel sick lol, he calls, shows down his j4, I end up finishing in 3rd.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:25 PM

Default Re: tough hand, chase this even with proper pot odds?

Aggression , aggression, aggression. Raise this pf, in a 3 handed game I would be raising any 2 cards if I'm first to open. If he does take a flop with you he will almost certainly raise when you lead into him if he has hit the flop at all and then the decision is much easier, as you can be certain he has more than top pair. JMO