Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2005, 04:57 AM

Default lay this down?

prima .25/.5
full ring of 10, been there maybe 4 orbits. I have 55$ villain is very LAG and has me covered. saw him limp in mp with 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and has been playing in a lot of pots, bluffing lots. I like my read on him, thats why i went to isolate him on the flop.

CO - villain
hero - button

2 limpers to hero including villain
hero limps with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
SB completes, BB checks

flop is j105 rainbow
checked to villain, he minraises .5
hero raises to 2.50
fold to villain, he thinks a bit, then calls
turn comes an Ace (no flush draw on the board)
villain checks, hero bets 6.50, villain raises to 30

what is my move? lay down? call? or push, if i call the rest of my chips are going in on the river no matter what. Did i play this hand wrong? minraise from villain seemed awfly weak. results are in white below.

<font color="white"> I guess I wasn't that confident in my read, he was very agressive but this was the first time I saw a play like this from him, i layed it down and he mucked. sorry for posting this without actually knowing what he had. </font>
Old 04-07-2005, 05:31 AM

Default Re: lay this down?

Based on the information that he plays to many hands, why should you believe he is good postflop?
Do you think he has KQ? If so, dont you trust your solid read?
Besides if your up against the straight you got a lot of outs for a redraw to the boat.
Easy push! I think he has A5...
Old 04-07-2005, 06:00 AM

thx for the response,
when I thought about it afterwards, I agree, I should have pushed. If I believe to have him beat, whats the best way to get him to call? push on the turn, or call then push on the river?

I folded just because it seemed unusual play for him, the minbet seemed weak like he was on draw, but after his raise on the turn i considered for the first time this maniac maybe had the potential to play trips or tptk tricky. all his bets that i remembered on the flop had been 3/4 pot to pot sized. Then with his turn raise, I hadn't seen him put that percentage of his chips into any bet, bluff or not. I had this weird feeling of qk, or maybe he decided to get really tricky with aj or 55. That is all I was thinking about, I didn't consider the wide possibilities of all the other hands he could have had. also agreed, a5 seems the most likely, he could have even had the same hand as me.

Also, was my raise on the flop a decent play? and what about my bet on the turn? how would you play it? and lastly, lets say he is a tight player, would I be correct in assuming this is an automatic fold?

thx again... Kyle
Old 04-07-2005, 06:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like my read on him, thats why i went to isolate him on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why wait until the flop? Isolate his crazy as now.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:10 AM

If you set out to trap a LAG with AA then you can't fold when you hit a set. Also play straightforwardly vs loose players. With AA that means raising preflop.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, was my raise on the flop a decent play? and what about my bet on the turn? how would you play it? and lastly, lets say he is a tight player, would I be correct in assuming this is an automatic fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the last line: "an automatic fold?". [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Man, you have a set of aces, the second to the nuts BEFORE the river. This is never a automatic fold not even against the rockiest rock.

I Like the idea to isolate him though. Thats good! Just dont forget why your isolating him: to exploit his loose tendensies!!!

About the turn bet:
There was about 4$ in the pot, right? And you overbet 6,5$, why?
It turns out to be good, though, because it induced him to make a big raise. However that wasnīt your intention and you didnt explore it.
In this situation you want his money. The right action is the one that gets the most money. You accidentely set it up, but didnīt pull the trigger...

I hope this will help you,
Good luck!
Old 04-07-2005, 07:21 AM

i'm new to NL ring games but there's no way in hell i fold this. there is only 1 hand he can have that beats you and that's KQ. and if he does have that you still have 10 outs.

i would have pushed the turn. you don't even have enough to raise him another $30 so he will probably call you with anything decent.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:31 AM

Looks to me like the initial turn pot was $7.50. I bet $8, and push his reraise.

You're getting nearly 2:1 just to call his turn raise, by my figuring (looks like $23.50 on $44?) You beat KK, QQ, AJ, AT, A5, JJ, TT, 55, all of which he could easily be playing. You're behind only to KQ, but will beat that with any board pair on the river as long as it doesn't give him quads.

Easy push.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:37 AM

the poker gods should make sure that you're never dealt AA again. weakest fold ever.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2 limpers to hero including villain
hero limps with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]SB completes, BB checks

[/ QUOTE ]
Why would you limp and allow 5 people to see the flop when you have bullets? At least put in a standard raise to limit the field and sweeten the pot.

[ QUOTE ]
turn comes an Ace (no flush draw on the board)
villain checks, hero bets 6.50, villain raises to 30
what is my move? lay down? call? or push

[/ QUOTE ]
You're 3.7 to 1 to improve to quads or a boat. You're getting 1.8 to 1 on your money. Not the best odds, but you said he was very LAG. He could have a wide range of hands. Push on the turn.

You're flop play was ok. You made him pay if he was drawing to a straight. I think the biggest mistake was folding the turn. Yes, he could have KQ. But he could have many other hands. Plus, he had the chips to attempt a bluff.