Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2005, 10:22 PM

Default How do you play this river?

Pokerroom $1000+0. Blinds 75/150. UTG open raises to 450. UTG has been a little loose PF, so I don't given the position raise as much respect as I might with other players. Action folded to me in MP2 with KK. I decide to take the line of call, probably fold on an ace flop, but we'll see how it plays out. All others fold. I have a 15K stack, UTG has a 13.5K stack. My table image is as a big bluffer.

(T1125)Flop: AA3
Seeing two aces makes me reevaluate the odds of him having a third aces, so when he bets(T800), I call - planning to fold to a turn bet or check/call down.

(T2725)Turn: 8
He checks. I check.

(T2725)River: A
He checks. OK, so I am sitting on the nut boat, but the case ace beats me. What do you do here?

CSC
Old 04-02-2005, 10:43 PM

Default Re: How do you play this river?

Hi CSC...

Well I imagine I am wrong in this but I would probably check it. Of course I am still smarting from a hand very close to this. Seems like he could have had the A. Of course he also could have 99-QQ here as well although I think he would have bet to see where he was if he had a boat. I am very curious as to what you did and what the result was.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:47 PM

I bet 3k here and hope he calls with a PP. If he raises im not sure what I do, but I think I call. I think if he played it this way it means one of two things, either he has completely given up on the hand, and you aren't ever getting more money from him, or he has a PP which wants a cheap showdown. I'm making a big bet here because it looks like a bluff, and given the way the hand played out he can't put you on KK and will very likely call with a PP. If he can play the case A this way he is welcome to my chips.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:56 PM

Someone once said something like 'On the river, if you will puke if your opponent comes back over the top of you, check'.

But, is he good enough to check again on the river after an attempted check raise on the turn failed? If you would call an all-in reraise, bet for value - he could call you with a lower boat, reraise with a lower boat, or bluff reraise. The risk is you lose to the case A. Most likely, he folds to a river bet, so you don't get paid for your extra risk/value bet.

If you can not call an all-in rerraise, check behind.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:57 PM

This is a perfect spot for a big bet, even a big overbet.

If you bet big and he is sitting on a hand like QQ or JJ he will have a vvvv hard time folding it. He's not going to put the case ace on a big bet like that. If he can check the case ace to you on the river here than wow he deserves your stack.

-Jason
Old 04-02-2005, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a perfect spot for a big bet, even a big overbet.

If you bet big and he is sitting on a hand like QQ or JJ he will have a vvvv hard time folding it. He's not going to put the case ace on a big bet like that. If he can check the case ace to you on the river here than wow he deserves your stack.

-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what i was going to post. I really like an overbet here.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:24 PM

it seems like the consenous (spelling?) is to value bet this river. In fact, "value bet" doesn't seem to be the correct term - the recommenedaion is to bet big for an apparrent bluff. I chose to check. As I mentioned, my table image was as a Big Bluffer, and the hand felt like he was either trying to set me up for the knockout punch, or he was willing to concede the hand. That said, I had to think about this for a few secs before checking down and I've been thinking about it since, wondering if I made the right play. Another player at the table was surprised at my check (given my bet, bet, bet nature) and said he would have bet that river. A friend of mine also advised betting saying, "he wouldn't be able to check quad aces on the river after you didn't bet the turn."

Of course, he had the ace. Not really sure if I made a read-based check or if I just lacked the balls to bet it out, but as my friend said, "well, it worked out." Thank you all for your comments, it does appear that I misplayed this one, despite the results.

CSC
Old 04-02-2005, 11:29 PM

I think that's a horrible check on the river by him.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that's a horrible check on the river by him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not so sure. He's seen me bluff a couple times on scary boards like this one. I think he was thinking that I called the flop to set up a bluff later on, so he wanted to give me a chance.

CSC
Old 04-02-2005, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pokerroom $1000+0. Blinds 75/150. UTG open raises to 450. UTG has been a little loose PF, so I don't given the position raise as much respect as I might with other players. Action folded to me in MP2 with KK. I decide to take the line of call ...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's where the problem starts, IMHO. Why, oh why, didn't you re-raise here to about 1,100? And you're going to let him see a flop with ATs or AJs, when he might lay it down to your big re-raise? And you're saying you'll FOLD to an ace-high flop?

I don't like this pre-flop and flop line of thinking at all. Curious to see what others say, but you're just giving Villain a chance to beat you on the flop. Make him earn it with a big-time re-raise, or just take down the blinds plus his 450 and move on with life.

And since you've gotten all the way to the river with this hand, I'm checking and seeing what villain does. The rest is up to you.