Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2005, 02:42 PM

Default Re: stop trying to \'protect\' your hand

This is an internet forum, and microlimits is a beginners game. When people post these "How do I ..." questions, they are looking for advise, not to be berated for asking a question. At some point everyone here has had questions about how they played a hand or if there was a better line or else this site wouldn't exist. Getting angry at new players for trying to get better defeats the principle of this site. Lay off the caffeine and lighten up.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:48 PM

Oh EAT ME!!!!!! I'll protect my friggin' hand when I damn well feel like it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

This post would have been better titled something, "stop trying to 'slow-play' your hand. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Plus which, why the hell is there a section on it in SSH if you're not supposed to do it? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Any resemblence to that of a person pissed off, is completely without warrant. I was making a point, to be sure, but added some piss-ant to it for the fun of it. So please don't take it personal.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Plus which, why the hell is there a section on it in SSH if you're not supposed to do it?

[/ QUOTE ]

why is it that 9 out of 10 slowplay posts, the OP would have made more by playing straight forward because ppl automatically assume, oh I flopped Quads gotta slowplay, oh I flopped the nut flush gotta slowplay

people don't pay much attention to the circumstances needed to slowplay and hence do it incorrectly a very large % of the time from what I've seen
Old 03-29-2005, 02:58 PM

Exactly why I was saying, the title should have been, 'stop "slow-playing" your hands. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-29-2005, 03:18 PM

hmm.
my first thought when i read first post was that he means people in micros arent folding when they have anything resembling a hand (at least in 50c/1 at PTY)...

this does not ness concern slowplaying, but waiting till the turn to raise so that a draw doesnt have odds to call will be forcing players to make bad calls...

but IF you assume people WILL NOT FOLD DRAWS EVER, then betting/raising for value might make you more money in the long run. that you force them to make bad calls has more value not only because they have bad odds, but because they will then be forced into a lose/lose situations where no matter what they do, you benefit.

if they never fold, then getting the morons to put as much money in as possible throughout the hand is your best option.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Protecting your hand doesn't always mean you want your opponents to fold - you can protect your hand by making sure anyone who's going to call anyway isn't getting the right odds to beat you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the same thing as 'betting for value'.

Because you have more equity in the pot then they do, they are contributing more than their share. So... it is for value.

He didn't say 'stop betting'. He said, 'stop trying to protect your hand'.

KO
Old 03-29-2005, 05:31 PM

Hey i'll admit to positing some questions with obvious answers in them, i'm not getting mad at people for that. Im not saying i know everything lol i'm still a micro limit player too. Its just the micro limit forum is getting flooded by posts like these. I think it would help these people out if they tried to figure out some of the most obvious answeres to some of these posts on their own, or read a book for that matter.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:35 PM

That is not the same thing as betting for value, they are two different subjects. For example i have K9 and i middle pair of 9's, and someoen bets into me and i raise on the flop to push out draws and to buy some outs, "to protect my hand" this may or may not be the best hand but i'm trying to make it less likly someoen will draw out on me. That is much difffern't that say flopped top 2 pair and raising for value.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:40 PM

I disagree. I can't count the number of times I flopped TPWK in one of the blinds, checked it, had it check all the way around, had higher card come on the turn, and watched someone walk away with a pot that would probably have been mine if only I had bet the flop.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Protecting your hand doesn't always mean you want your opponents to fold - you can protect your hand by making sure anyone who's going to call anyway isn't getting the right odds to beat you.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are right. i never want my opponents to fold their weaker hands, just their stronger hands [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img].