Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2005, 03:19 AM

Default Too Tight?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (9 handed) converter

SB (t520)
BB (t730)
UTG (t1535)
UTG+1 (t690)
Hero (t1035)
MP2 (t720)
MP3 (t870)
CO (t865)
Button (t1035)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t15, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t60) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

Turn: (t60) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t15</font>, BB calls t15, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t75</font>, CO calls t75, SB calls t60, BB calls t60.

River: (t360) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>

for some reason the converter messed up the end of the hand....this is how it went:

SB Checks, BB Checks, Hero Checks, CO Bets 100, SB Calls, BB folds

Hero...folds.

Too tight?

(also anybody know what happened w/ the converter? i've never used it before...it was ignoring this last round of action).

Degen
Old 03-25-2005, 03:22 AM

Default Re: Too Tight?

Bet the flop hoping to re-raise someone who limped with AQ/AK, raise the turn, and at LEAST check/call the river. If you're that scared of running flushes or a gutshot straight hitting then that's weak. They just don't happen that often for me to check/fold that river.

P.S. That's almost the perfect flop for your 88 in my eyes.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:28 AM

Easy call I think, especially closing the action. You're getting more than 4:1 and I think it's almost impossible to be behind SB.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:28 AM

it was the call that made me fold...not the bet...i figured the odds that one of them had me beat was greater than the pot was laying me at that point.

Degen
Old 03-25-2005, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it was the call that made me fold...not the bet...i figured the odds that one of them had me beat was greater than the pot was laying me at that point.

Degen

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't want this happening to you, get more aggressive on the flop and on so you don't have some wacky people chasing stuff. At least bet to cut down the field and sweeten YOUR pot. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-25-2005, 03:32 AM

ya i guess thats true..he would have raised his flush or straight...but i was thinking maybe he had a made hand but was thinking i'd fold to a raise and button was maybe going for a steal and would also fold.

dunno, i guess i just didn't want to let my stack dwindle any further at this point.

i never thought about the 'closing the action' point. thats a very good angle to this.

Degen
Old 03-25-2005, 03:50 AM

ya good point...i'm usually very agressive when i flop two pair or sets...but this flop just seemed so damned pretty...i thought it'd be harmless to slow play it.

I WILL NOT SLOW PLAY
I WILL NOT SLOW PLAY
I WILL NOW SLOW PLAY
I WILL NOT SLOW PLA...

Degen
Old 03-25-2005, 04:47 AM

I vote call too. I'd be a little worried about flush draws since the whole world called your raise on the turn, but the 100 chips to call won't hurt you too badly, the odds are favorable, and it's an excellent point that you close the betting. Seems to me that you'll be shown pairs of aces or two pair often enough to make this a good call.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:58 AM

I think it's way too tight. People call with all kinds of junk in these games, the odds that you have the best hand are simply too good to pass up here IMO.

Also I bet the flop for sure. What is your dream? That someone with KJ will hit a jack on the turn and then wake up and give you all their money when there's an ace on the board? Instead what's more likely when you slowplay on an A83 flop is that someone catches a draw on the turn and has a legitimate chance to beat you, or that someone hits perhaps 2nd pair and gives you a few chips. I'd rather be greedy and start to build the pot now.

Of course sometimes it's fine to slowplay, but I just don't like to in this exact situation, mainly because there is no card that's going to help out my opponents enough for me to expect to make a lot of money from them. I think your chances at a big score are better by betting something immediately.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:07 PM

great points...thank you all