Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2003, 05:02 PM

Default Bankroll considerations

What is a good bankroll for pot-limit or no-limit holdem games with small blinds (up to 2-4) and up to a $500 maximum buy-in?
Old 01-22-2003, 08:06 PM

Default Re: Bankroll considerations

I would want to buy in for the maximum, otherwise cover the table if nobody else has bought in for the maximum and you dont want to stretch to 500, (as 500 is not actually a fortune in a 2-4 NL or PL Game).
Thing is if you have belief in your game and you can afford to sit with the table max in front of you then jump at the chance to do so.
Good luck
Old 01-24-2003, 03:59 AM

There is no magic number like the 300 big-bets in limit hold em. Whatever you fell comfortable with. I play in a regular .25-.25 blind private pot-limit game with min buy-in of $20 and max of $100. I buy in at $100 as I am one of the better players in this game and I like to keep my roll around a $1000 total. I would say that most winning players would be comfortable with somewhere between 2000x to 10000x the blind depending on what they buy in at and the average stack size of the game. You will need a bigger roll for a game where the average stack is 400-500x the blind vs. a game with 50-200x the blind stacks.
Old 01-24-2003, 02:16 PM

I've been playing online 1/2 NL for the past 2-3 weeks and am getting some good data on my game and bankroll considerations. Currently I am running an hourly earn of $34, with a standard deviation of ~$110 (granted that this is only with 60-65 hours logged). I play fairly tight but get aggressive when I hold the goods, and bluff when I feel I have an out or two (okay maybe more like 5, ;-).

For my 1/2 NL game I would feel that 3x or 4x the SD would be minimum from a bankroll perspective (better would be 7x or 8x) but that is for the game that I have been playing.

If you are just getting into it, start with the $500 and track your hourly earn and SD to get the data that applies to your particular table and style of play. NL can be very volatile from a bankroll perspective and especially so if you get sucked out on a few times (a veritable certainty I might add).

Good luck,

Z
Old 01-24-2003, 03:39 PM

Depends on your how good you are compared to your oppenents. If they play better than you, you're gonna have to rob a bank to stay in the game. If you are one of the better players, and you are planning on buying in for 500 each time, I'd say 5000 or so would be a good number.