View Poll Results: Are You A Boozebag?
Yep 21 35.00%
Nope 22 36.67%
Used to be 15 25.00%
Trying to be 2 3.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-2005, 01:24 AM

Default Re: Best Streetfighter Character

geez, i can't believe you remember that combo.

i'd also point out to others that it wasn't a true combo, b/c w/ for instance, Ken/Ryu's jumping fierce/low fwd/fireball (always followed by a game-ending fierce/fierce/uppercut) you do all 3 in sequence and basically load a command cache so that one follows the other without your opponent being able to block in between.

Blanka's combo was just one move followed quickly by another move. executed properly, i also think you couldn't block in between, but different than the other characters' combos...
Old 03-11-2005, 01:40 AM

How to get perfects with Ken:

1. Wait til you can get a sweep in.
2. Sweep (low-roundhouse) and knock opponent down making sure you are at 'cross-up' distance.
3. Forward-jump to do a roundhouse cross-up into a Standing Fierce into a Short Shoryuken.
4. You opponent is now dizzied.
5. Once again, jump in with a deep roundhouse into a standing fierce into a strong Shoryuken.
6. Your opponent will have very little energy left.
7. Do a Hadoken into him timing it so that he is just getting up into it after the fall. This way his only move is to block the fireball, thus taking enough energy off his bar to kill him.

Against opponents who cannot defend against cross-ups, all you need to do is get that first roundhouse sweep in with the right positioning and he's pretty much dead after that.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:52 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

in ce most of the characters were [censored]. it had less glitches, but it was far from balanced character-wise. hyper fighting is probably my favorite of all of them. still lots of weak characters, but they were usually given enough compensation so that you could play them as a handicap for fun.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:29 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

also you're underestimating the amount of skill in sf2:ww. guile cleans up everybody, but i'm sure i'm a good match at a minimum vs anybody here with ken/ryu and i could probably beat most with dhalsim, zangief, and possibly worse characters.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:32 PM

Soda Popinski was the best hands down
Old 03-11-2005, 04:37 PM

Zangief. And it's not even close. Tears those f'ing Ryu/Ken clones right up. Generic little buttmunchers.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also for those who could use zangief expertly would crush most non-expert players because he has so much range on his spinning pile driver, though i don't know how he would fare agaisnt an expert guile or ryu/ken player, probably get his ass kicked.

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought you could beat him with those characters by throwing a slow (jab) fireball since he had to jump forward over it to avoid getting hit, in which case you could just dragon punch him. Did he have a counter-strategy against that?
Old 03-11-2005, 06:56 PM

if you hit all 3 punch buttons, he does like a whirlwinding double-fisted spin through fireballs. but, zangief is a weak character. he can't be played well enough to beat a decently played ken, ryu & guile...
Old 03-11-2005, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you hit all 3 punch buttons, he does like a whirlwinding double-fisted spin through fireballs.

[/ QUOTE ]
Interesting. I didn't know that move went through fireballs. It never occured to me to try it and I didn't know anyone who played Zangief.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:43 AM

For the original SF2:WW, the answer is Guile. Guile was by far the best character in the game, even without using magic throw or handcuffs. The only other character who was relevant was Dhalsim really. Little known fact about SF2:WW, the worst character is Ryu. Because reversals didn't exist in WW, most of WW is about knocking them down and setting up an unstoppable throw setup. In theory if Zangief ever hit your or made you block, the entire game was over. At the time nobody really understood this. Guile would still beat him easily simply because Guile was amazingly broken in WW.

For Champion edition, M.Bison (dictator) was by far the best. He had a sequence of moves that could be strung together and once you started blocking, you were unable to stop. This is called the lockdown. In the Japanese version, Vega (claw) also had a variation of a lockdown.

For Hyper fighting, Ryu was the best. This is the first game with reversals so having a command reversal (shoryuken) became important. Some characters like Vega who didn't have a good reversal could essentially die to being swept as there was no way out of some throw traps.

Street Fighter is still being played fairly competitively.
www.shoryuken.com !