Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2005, 12:24 AM

Default Trying to Follow SSHE But Terrible Results for the Day

I think SSHE is the best poker book available, but I've run into a snag today. Clearing a bonus on a site, I'm playing $1/2 for the 1st time, instead of my usual $.5 - $1. In first 700 hands was up almost $170 + $30 bonus for a gain of $200. Yet in the 400 hands today am down about $120 while still playing. 92% of the losses came on these listed hands:
AA - 1 for 2: KK - 1 for 3: QQ - 0 for 8: AKs - 0 for 2: AK - 1 for 10: Draws 2-1 or better odds - 0 for 12

So the question is am I being outplayed at the higher level, have picked bad tables today, or neither of the above and the luck factor went against me for 9 straight hours? OOPS - Just missed open-ended str8 Draw with backdoor flush number 13!

I obviously think I should be playing these hands and so does the book. But the fact that they account for so much of the losses concerns me. To be fair, at least 1/2 of these losses came on the river. The set of Queens beaten by flush on river can't be helped. The A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] that got a flop of A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and turn of K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] so the single player who called my pre-flop raise could show his 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]-7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for the Royal Flush aren't the hands I'm worried about. SSHE says to be aggressive when the odds warrant it and don't make the catastrophic error of folding when you have large pots and a chance. But I had 9 consecutive losses w/ AK and 8 consecutive losses with QQ. 12 times I've folded on the river to bets from other players as a monster draw missed! (Pause - okay, just lost again when I raised with AK, got 3 callers, had to get out to turn bet when board went 4-2-7-T-6. Fast forward 6 hands - QQ is now 0 for 9 as a player hits his K on the river.)

I'm new at this crap, so feedback is welcome.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:26 AM

Default Re: Trying to Follow SSHE But Terrible Results for the Day

Maybe you should quit poker. Your luck is the worst I've ever seen.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you should quit poker. Your luck is the worst I've ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-11-2005, 12:30 AM

Insignificant sample size.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So the question is am I being outplayed at the higher level, have picked bad tables today, or neither of the above and the luck factor went against me for 9 straight hours?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you really want help, as many have stated on this site, post a couple hands that give you trouble and respond to others posts.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just missed open-ended str8 Draw with backdoor flush number 13!

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't have anything inciteful to say that hasn't already been mentioned, but if you are having this bad of a run, stop playing and take a little break--at least for a day or two and maybe longer. The fact that you went to the effort to make this post indicates that you are very frustrated. When you get this frustrated, there is no way you can be playing optimally, no matter how much you are trying to follow the guidelines in SSHE. At least that has been my experience.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:32 AM

ya had QQ 8times in 400hands and managed to lose them all?? ... you do raise them preflop right, seriously post some of these hands, sure everyone has stretches where the premium hands lose, and lose often ... and its hard to just breakeven when it happens

but I'm thinking you have a lot of FPS and passive postflop play that is contributing, and you might not be protecting your marginal hands ... it could just be the nasty side of variance but from your post, i think it has more to do with your play than anything else
Old 03-11-2005, 01:56 AM

Dude - what you're going to hear here is that no one cares about bad beats. They happen. A LOT. You are supposed to welcome them, since it means you're playing the right starting hands and you're ahead in the hand and people are making BAD decisions calling you down. Over the LONG HAUL you will profit from it.

You have to deal with the swings in your bankroll. Some very good players are going through much larger and more frustrating swings than your one bad day believe me.

Keep playing your game ...