View Poll Results: Are You A Boozebag?
Yep 21 35.00%
Nope 22 36.67%
Used to be 15 25.00%
Trying to be 2 3.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2005, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Best Streetfighter Character

The correct answer is Ken. Although Akuma (didn't show up until the Alpha games) was always my favorite until they made him super weak in MVC2. I mean he was ridiculously unfair in Street Fighter Vs. X-Men....but they didn't have to weaken him *that* much.

Shun Goku Satsu,
tpir
Old 03-07-2005, 03:32 PM

Raging Demon ****PWN*****
Old 03-08-2005, 02:18 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

the correct answer is not ken for sf2:ww
Old 03-08-2005, 02:58 AM

astroglide is right in this thread, in the original SS2, Guile was by far the best player. His significant edge is that there is no recoil/pause in his sonic boom. his balance of speed and power also surpasses ken/ryu.

also for those who could use zangief expertly would crush most non-expert players because he has so much range on his spinning pile driver, though i don't know how he would fare agaisnt an expert guile or ryu/ken player, probably get his ass kicked.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ryu is the only correct answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

spoken like somebody who is completely wrong! for the original sf2 ken was a superior character than ryu because his kick throw did a double roll, which enabled you to angle your opponent into a corner more easily. even without glitches or redizzies, guile handily thrashes every other player. guile > ken > ryu > everybody else by such a degree that it's not even worth mentioning.

[ QUOTE ]
I find this game very interesting from a game theory standpoint. I think in most matchups, optimal strategy on both parts results in a draw. (Basically this means that whoever makes the first move, is making a mistake).

[/ QUOTE ]

also wrong. guile can lead against most characters with a sonic boom and it has no drawback. even with an instant jump they can't come in time to be unblocked. if they do that, they're at complete risk of getting uppercutted and all they have to show for it if they 'succeed' are some blocked attacks against a character that has a gigantic arsenal of anti-pressure. if they block the sonic boom you can easily follow with a low forward kick and begin pressing them backward.

the glitch was with guile, not chun li, and you couldn't get out of it. i'm astounded at how bad the responses are in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

This man knows what he is talking about. However, in my sf2 ce / SSF2 circles, Ryu was the powerhouse.

You can chain throw with practically everyone, but a well timed ryu dragonpunch (in the moment when you get up and never have an active hitbox) could turn the chain around in his favor. I never saw a perfect guile player, so I could be wrong about that.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm not really that good and i'm certainly really rusty. but i'm looking really forward to the xbox release of the anniversary one that lets you play any character from multiple versions. i'll probably get a nice arcade stick and xbox live when that happens. sf2 was my first real gambling game though, i used to play it and mk many many hours per week at my local arcade's mall. never got into killer instinct much. it is a game of smaller edges though. something like quake is just as 'simple' but a good player simply has ZERO chance against a pro.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm very annoyed at the collector's edition being a "mix" of the different 2d street fighter games. They need an edition with all the versions separate. It also needs to come with arcade joysticks as an option, or at least Super Nintendo controllers.

Those games kicked, and still kick ass. I remember playing them in college until like four in the morning during "reading" period. Reading my ass. My friend would cheer so loud whenever he had a win specifically to wake up and piss off my other roommate. Great times.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:10 PM

i know this topic has come & gone, but I remembered also, Ken & Ryu's hurricane kicks were different.

Ken's could hit you multiple times, whereas Ryu's knocked you down. It was also slow and basically an invitation to get followed and thrown after it ended...
Old 03-10-2005, 09:29 PM

Blanka did have a combo that if you got the jump attack in couldn't be blocked after that. But the problem is not getting uppercutted or sonic kicked trying to land the first hit.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:04 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

when i spoke of the throw being ken and ryu's only difference, i was as usual referring to sf2:ww.

blanka's only "combo" was jump fierce, standing strong, low forward. no dizzies and it sucked balls.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:50 AM

except that ww sucked balls. both ce and hf were years ahead of it in terms of general balance to the game and bug fixes. saying you'll pwn someone in ww is like saying "ya man i played ww and i beat everyone, my guy had this move where i held d/b and then hit u/f and jab+short and it wasted everyone, I kicked ass at that game.".