Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2005, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Ignorant Question from a 3000+ Poster

lol AC...you should be like me (beyond help!).

Yes, I know, I have always used caps for emphasis when I should be using italics. Just easier for me I suppose. I understand that it's taken as a SHOUT, but I assure you it's only for emphasis.

Anyway...LOL
Old 03-07-2005, 06:35 PM

As for (a), it is more correct to say that "If you suspect a raise behind you will mess up your pot odds...you probably don't want to call the initial bet by the player in front of you." Or, if you think you are behind and no one has yet put in a bet, then you are correct that you should check it through to the anticipated raiser, then calculate your pot odds when it gets back to you.

As for (b), yes, you are correct.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:37 PM

Alright, I think I have it.

Thanks for the help. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-07-2005, 07:34 PM

To put in in perspective, just imagine the game "suddenly" became NL - meaning after you call the original bet, the player to your left goes all-in with many more chips thna in the pot. Well, if you had perfect knowledge and would have known he would go all-in, you would never have called the bet in the first place since a call would give you slightly more than 1-1 odds. The same concept is taking place in this example - just no so extreme.

The idea of the your money just being part of the pot realy only applies in a pure sense with the blinds. IOW, that big blind you put in required no decision process of whether you should post it - you 100% must because it's a rule. So if 3 player cold call a raise including the SB, you are truly getting 9-1 odds to complete the BB.