Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2005, 04:00 AM

Default QQ, big pot in level 1

Is this a spot to gamble? If I push here I'll obviously be called by both. MP1 just took a bad beat from MP3 so he may be on tilt. I'm pretty sure I have the best hand, but I can't be much more than 40% or so to win.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

MP1 (t365)
MP2 (t800)
MP3 (t1210)
CO (t785)
Button (t775)
SB (t785)
Hero (t800)
UTG (t960)
UTG+1 (t735)
UTG+2 (t785)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls t15, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t365 (All-In)</font>, MP2 calls t365, MP3 calls t365, Hero??
Old 03-02-2005, 07:08 AM

Default Re: QQ, big pot in level 1

If you are confident you'll get called here, I think it's an easy fold. MP2 &amp; MP3 has shown real strength with their hands, there's a good chance you're up against aces, kings, or ace-king. Against 3 other hands your queens really don't look hot. Assuming you're a winning player, there's no need to gamble so early-on in the tourney. I think if you had kings, this would be a closer call.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:18 AM

the pusher wants to leave so he is not a problem - MP3 has made a strange call so he looks like a chook too - i think you have enough to push

your killing lower pairs which are likely - the other likely hands may duplicate each other - its a huge reward to win this pot and i think you are probably the favourite - if you get nailed in a 3 or 4 way pot - which is likely - simply load up another game

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 03-02-2005, 07:36 AM

counterfitted outs, shortstack making a desperation allin move, nobody pushing in behind... sounds like you are up against some monster hands here [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I think you have way too much pot equity to fold here. AA or KK would push behind IMO. And besides, you'd have lost your stack to those hands anyway [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Seriously, I'd call here almost every time.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:38 AM

Yes you're right, AA &amp; KK would have pushed here. I neglected that.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:42 AM

Depends on stakes. If it's a $11 or $22 tourney, call 100% of the time. If it's $55 or above, consider folding.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, I'd call here almost every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

No calls here...push or fold. With QQ in this early of a level I think it goes back to theory of when the pot gets big you do whatever you need to win it. Pushing even one of the other callers out does world's for your odds to win the hand and take a nice little chip lead early. Folding makes sense to me too, but if this is a low stakes (22 or 11) sng then I really dont think your learned edge will take enough an effect later on to be of much use. Gotta take a chance.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:48 AM

Sounds like a spot I was in a few months ago. It wasn't a sit-n-go, but I was second highest stack on the table. I was dealt QQ. Short stack goes all in, table chip leader calls, I push, stack close to my size after me calls and the chip leader calls. First all-in had KK, chip leader had A-J suited, and the caller after me had AA. If two people have AA and KK on top of my QQ I just consider that to be just crappy luck. The odds of that are far worse than 2-7 off beating AK suited.

However, when the Q hit on 5th St and almost quadrupled me up that certainly worked out nicely. Sometimes you've got to gamble.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:11 PM

There are too many players in this pot and it's best to avoid it. I fold. 2 players calling that raise means there is a very good chance you are way behind.

Now if it was just the first guy who pushed in 365 and the MP3 player. I would call. You then would be closing out the action. If the flop comes Queen high or lower, then push in and see what happens since you are first to act.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:26 PM

Fold. MP1 isn't a problem, but 2 cold calls is.