Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2005, 11:42 PM

Default Re: ARRRRGGGHHH(do not read if you dont want to listen to me whine)

[ QUOTE ]

b)A little too aggressive too early (level 4)

These are two things I have to watch for.... but there is more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could have told you that! Hell, I'll go one level further and say that you're too aggressive on level 3 for that matter. This is a sequence that I wasn't going to post but you leave me no other options (besides not posting it [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ):

***** Hand History for Game 1633459422 *****
Susanoma finished in eighth place.
Seat11: yesterday I made 700 bucks
TheYugoslav: they cool guys?
50/100 TourneyTexasHTGameTable (NL) (Tournament 9809628) - Tue Feb 22 22:43:58 EST 2005
Table Table 11563 (Real Money) -- Seat 9 is the button
Total number of players : 7
Seat 1: Seat11 (875)
Seat 5: ounum1bob (830)
Seat 6: reddeviles (1420)
Seat 7: baga76 (760)
Seat 8: TheYugoslav (700)
Seat 9: timetogonow (1050)
Seat 10: jokivoittaja (2365)
jokivoittaja posts small blind (25)
Seat11 posts big blind (50)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to TheYugoslav [ Jc, 5c ]
Seat11: only to promptly give 2/3 of it back
ounum1bob folds.
reddeviles folds.
baga76 raises (100) to 100
TheYugoslav folds.
Seat11: ya both stand up guys
timetogonow folds.
jokivoittaja folds.
Seat11 calls (50)
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 8s, Tc, Ks ]
Seat11 bets (775)
Seat11 is all-In.
baga76 calls (660)
baga76 is all-In.
** Dealing Turn ** : [ Qd ]
** Dealing River ** : [ Ac ]
Creating Main Pot with $1545 with baga76
Creating Side Pot 1 with $115 with Seat11
** Summary **
Main Pot: 1545 | Side Pot 1: 115
Board: [ 8s Tc Ks Qd Ac ]
Seat11 balance 115, bet 875, collected 115, lost -760 [ Kh 4h ] [ a pair of kings -- Ac,Kh,Ks,Qd,Tc ]
ounum1bob balance 830, didn't bet (folded)
reddeviles balance 1420, didn't bet (folded)
baga76 balance 1545, bet 760, collected 1545, net +785 [ 8d 8c ] [ three of a kind, eights -- Ac,Ks,8d,8c,8s ]
TheYugoslav balance 700, didn't bet (folded)
timetogonow balance 1050, didn't bet (folded)
jokivoittaja balance 2340, lost 25 (folded)

I dunno if this is a standard way to try and gain some chips earlish but I don't like the preflop call or the post flop push as too many better K hands could easily be minraising. INO these are *big* mistakes in this hand.

I wise man once told me that mistakes such as this can bash your ROI/ITM for dozens if not hundreds of SNGs even if you only make them semi occasionally.

Yugoslav
(post flop fish extraordinaire)
Old 02-23-2005, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it possible that:

You are overly ( [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]) tight-agressive. Early and late. Your good flops (and flop bets) aren't being called by silver medal hands, because you price them out of the pot? [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a serious problem of mine that I need to work on. My bets have been WAY too big, especially heads-up. Lately I've been making more 25-30% bets at non-scary flops, and ~40% bets where some (but not a ton) of draws could be out. Too early to tell, but I think it's plugging a major leak.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:46 PM

Could the ROI drop be partially due to the improved play on the party sngs. I have seen the 10s and 20s improve over the last 2-3 months. Im not say they are unbeatable but the texture of the games has changed and this will reduce your ROI unless you can adjust. I havent changed my game much but Ive seen a steady reduction in ROI over 2-3 months. I dont have enough data to prove it but I think its fairly apparent to anyone who plays alot at these levels. Im not panicking at this point and expect it to return to ultra fishiness when the 2005 WSOP airs but for now I need to make adjustments or wait it out.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Could the ROI drop be partially due to the improved play on the party sngs. I have seen the 10s and 20s improve over the last 2-3 months. Im not say they are unbeatable but the texture of the games has changed and this will reduce your ROI unless you can adjust. I havent changed my game much but Ive seen a steady reduction in ROI over 2-3 months. I dont have enough data to prove it but I think its fairly apparent to anyone who plays alot at these levels. Im not panicking at this point and expect it to return to ultra fishiness when the 2005 WSOP airs but for now I need to make adjustments or wait it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's my understanding that it certainly is not 'fairly apparent' to those who play a lot. Is it a bit tougher? Perhaps. But I'd say the general consensus is that they're not much more so than they were.

You could of course be right. But I'm not sold on this theory at all.

Yugoslav
Old 02-24-2005, 12:09 AM

I think I can somewhat relate to that, I just recently started 8-table and have a 9.5% ROI in my last 500 games. It's really bugging me. I can't see what I'm doing wrong because I must be doing something wrong. I think I play a good solid poker but it's just isn't enough. Looking for leaks everywhere but can't find any, atleast no big ones. It's impossible to not start doubting yourself even though you made a lot of money in the past. Makes me so frustrated, so extreamly frustrated.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just recently started 8-table

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a high probability that this is contributing in a bigger way than you think to your troubles...

It's not that playing 8 tables is terribly difficult, it's that doing it *well* is difficult.

Yugoslav
Old 02-24-2005, 09:54 AM

its OK Yug, I already shared that HH verbaly with IGuy. It was over aggressive and out of character for me.

I make my mistakes like that occasionaly, and I feel like an idiot seconds after the move(before the next opponent has even made his move.) Its basically when I move before I think about it.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
TheYugoslav: they cool guys?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 02-24-2005, 11:06 AM

Im saying that the texture of the games has changed. 6 months ago you could post and fold into the money in a majority of $10+1s. Over the last 1-2 months it is very common to be 7-8 handed at level 6. This is a considerable change over a few months. 6 months ago I rarely ever bumped into 2+2ers and rarely played the same person 2x. Now its very common to run into the same players over and over again. The number of players multi-tabling has definitely increased. Like I said its not unprofitable but the change in the texture of the games has to affect ROI longterm. Maybe this hasn't caused any change in the 30s. It could be the learning curve for beating the 10s is so small that this was bound to happen eventually.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:25 AM

ElMax,
Do you attribute that change to increased use of realtime statistical programs? ie: PT, PView, GT+, etc, etc? I have wondered myself if this might be the case. Several posts recently re: how tough pp has become in the last 6 mo at this or that level.

Doc