Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2005, 06:56 PM

Default Re: The 2/4 to 3/6 Jump

Even good results are not in themselves preparation. In 18K hands single and (recently) double-tabling at 2/ 4 Ive had 4.53BB/100 including downswings of 150BB, 80BB and 90BB. The sample size is suspect, I know.

In my move to 3/ 6 I was essentially even in 2K hands and went back to 2/ 4. I know that the sample is infinitesimal, but I knew enough to look at my data and post about them. Several persons here correctly and politely suggested that I had gone weenie, which I denied at the time but later recognized as a correct assessment.

You have to be comfortable with the limit. I'll just have to have a little more experience and a bigger roll (although how any more above 800BB will make me comfortable, I cant figure). Some more datamining wont hurt, either. Just adding in a single table at the higher limit if you are going to multitable sounds like a good way to get comfortable with this, and I might try that myself.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even good results are not in themselves preparation. In 18K hands single and (recently) double-tabling at 2/ 4 Ive had 4.53BB/100 including downswings of 150BB, 80BB and 90BB. The sample size is suspect, I know.

In my move to 3/ 6 I was essentially even in 2K hands and went back to 2/ 4. I know that the sample is infinitesimal, but I knew enough to look at my data and post about them. Several persons here correctly and politely suggested that I had gone weenie, which I denied at the time but later recognized as a correct assessment.

You have to be comfortable with the limit. I'll just have to have a little more experience and a bigger roll (although how any more above 800BB will make me comfortable, I cant figure). Some more datamining wont hurt, either. Just adding in a single table at the higher limit if you are going to multitable sounds like a good way to get comfortable with this, and I might try that myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

My BB/100 was has been anywhere from over 4/100 to under 1/100 through 80,000 hands. Your winrate at 18,000 hands is not your true winrate, just as my BB/100 is not my true winrate through 80,000 hands. If you obsess about your winrate then you are gonna be very disturbed when your monster downswing comes.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My BB/100 was has been anywhere from over 4/100 to under 1/100 through 80,000 hands. Your winrate at 18,000 hands is not your true winrate, just as my BB/100 is not my true winrate through 80,000 hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's possible that your true win rate (i.e., your expectation) really did vary by a few BB/100 during different 80k blocks of hands. This could be because the games were tougher at some times than others (for example, due to seasonal factors like when school is in session and the financial effects of holiday seasons), or due to changes in your play that you made over time (some that may have worked and others that didn't) or differences in your mental/ emotional state during different time periods, or any of a number of other factors. The fact that you have big differences in observed win rate between different 80k chunks of hands doesn't prove that 80k isn't enough to pin down your win rate because we don't know that your true win rate was constant.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:42 AM

Tighten up a lot in early position when playing 3/6. You will pay more bets per street than you will at 2/4 so your post flop decsisions become more crucial. There are a lot more rocks and tight aggressives per table. Don't autopilot the same way you play 2/4 or 6max. Start with 1 or 2 tables and then add one at a time if you've got a handle on things. Jumping right into 4 tabling a new level the way you've been playing an old one is a recipe for disaster. Give yourself some time to get a feel for the game and fold more than you're used to for the first week or two and watch how the action unfolds. Get position on the maniac or consider leaving the table. Hope this helps. These adjustments have helped me have a better 2nd run at 3/6 than my 1st.