Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2005, 06:03 AM

Default What to do now?

Hello All,
I have been a pretty casual poker player for a couple years now. I have occasionally asked for advice and always gotten great responses. I started with $30 and have now worked up to about $2000 in my on-line accounts. I have finally made the jump to 2-4 and wondered what people would suggest for a future strategy. I have read Winning Low Limit Holdem, Theory of Poker, Holdem for Advanced Players 21st century and Small Stakes, in that order. I feel that I have a pretty good handle on the material.

Questions:
I have not used poker tracker yet. Is there any downside to using it, if I still play only 1-2 hours a night on average? Are there any alternatives? I worry about it being replace by something better.

I did not know about rakebacks when I started. I have accounts at Party, Paradise, Planet, Absolute, and Pacific. Have I lost out on the rakeback programs or can I still take advantage of them? In other words, if I want to get rakeback for Party, is there an easy way to sign up now?

I pulled out roughly $300 in 2003, $1500 in 2004, and already $500 in 2005. I have never claimed any winnings on taxes. If this next year is $3000-4000, I expect the IRS will want a piece. Any advice or places to find information on reporting?

Are there any other suggestions you might make in my poker carreer? I have been pulling about 50% of my winning out for fun money for my family. It keep everyone happy about me playing. I have played mostly ring games as I am much stronger with the math and statistics that can lead to winning in a ring game, than the very situational aspects of tournaments.

Thank you everyone for past and future help,
Chucklhead
Old 02-19-2005, 06:11 AM

Default Re: What to do now?

[ QUOTE ]
Questions:
I have not used poker tracker yet. Is there any downside to using it, if I still play only 1-2 hours a night on average? Are there any alternatives? I worry about it being replace by something better.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are no downsides to PT. Get it now.

[ QUOTE ]
I did not know about rakebacks when I started. I have accounts at Party, Paradise, Planet, Absolute, and Pacific. Have I lost out on the rakeback programs or can I still take advantage of them? In other words, if I want to get rakeback for Party, is there an easy way to sign up now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sign up for Empire or PokerNow under an affiliate who offers rakeback. Check the classifieds here.

[ QUOTE ]
I pulled out roughly $300 in 2003, $1500 in 2004, and already $500 in 2005. I have never claimed any winnings on taxes. If this next year is $3000-4000, I expect the IRS will want a piece. Any advice or places to find information on reporting?

[/ QUOTE ]

Get the book The Gambler's Guide to Taxes by Walter L. Lewis.