Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2005, 11:13 PM

Default teasing both sides of superbowl

so i can't decide who i think is gonna win the superbowl... on one hand, the patriots put up very convincing wins over two of the top teams in the nfl... but then again most teams would win if the opposing team threw 4 ints and indianapolis can never win in foxwoods.

anyway, i've been teasing the spread both ways... so far i haven't lost any of the other teams, so i have money on both NE -1 and Phili +13...

is this a stupid idea? should i just pick one team and stick with them? eh. let me know.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:59 PM

Default Re: teasing both sides of superbowl

As long as the teams you are teasing them with cover you will be looking good on Sunday since you will have such a big middle to hit both ways. I've done thie before with a few games. Not something to do on a regular basis but if you think NE will win outight but Philly will keep it somewhat close then I see nothing wrong with it.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:42 AM

Default Re: teasing both sides of superbowl

EDIT: What I wrote applies to teasing both teams in the same teaser, not teasing both sides in seperate teasers. I wouldn't tease Philly becasue statistically, it's not a good bet. A teaser than buys you both the 3 and the 7 is statistically viable (like NE).

[ QUOTE ]
so i can't decide who i think is gonna win the superbowl... on one hand, the patriots put up very convincing wins over two of the top teams in the nfl... but then again most teams would win if the opposing team threw 4 ints and indianapolis can never win in foxwoods.

anyway, i've been teasing the spread both ways... so far i haven't lost any of the other teams, so i have money on both NE -1 and Phili +13...

is this a stupid idea? should i just pick one team and stick with them? eh. let me know.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a good answer to this in the "Sharp Sports Betting" book. I'll paraphrase:

When you do a 2 team tease, there are 4 possible outcomes

W/W
W/L
L/W
L/L

Assume (erronously, but we are ignoring key numbers and other factors that don't affect the math) that every teased team win 2/3 of the time. When you tease two random teams that are not playing each other, you get the following outcomes

W/W - 4/9
W/L - 2/9
L/W - 2/9
L/L - 1/9

You win the tease 4/9 of the time. The 1/9 that you L/L is no different than the 4/9 you W/L or L/W

Now say you tease the same game both ways. Since each side wins 2/3 of the time, it follows, each must lose 1/3 of the time. Also, you cannot have a L/L.
W/W - 1/3
W/L - 1/3
L/W - 1/3
L/L - 0

Each part of your tease will lose the same percentage of the time, but both teams will never lose at once, resulting in fewer teaser wins.