Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2005, 08:45 AM

Default Where do the terms \"Flop\", \"Turn\", \"River\" come from?

Anybody know? I can see "flop" since your flopping 3 cards over, but what do "turn" and "river" mean?
Old 01-31-2005, 06:21 PM

Default Re: Where do the terms \"Flop\", \"Turn\", \"River\" come from?

To the best of my knowledge (which is minimal):

FLOP: Originally called "the flip" cause 3 cards are flipped up. During the mid-70's, many players in the southwest started berating the dealer when they got a bad "flip". They were fond of yelling at the dealer "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT COW-FLOP??!?"

(note: this made reads difficult, as they would sometimes say that for decptive reasons when they hit the flip hard)

TURN: Many people do not know that Texas Hold'em started as a drinking game. One of the house rules was that if you wanted to bet on the 4th board card, you had to first get out of your chair, stand up, and turn around, then sit back down and make the bet. Thus, it became known as the "get up and turn" street, later shortened to the "turn".

RIVER: Full-houses have long been known as "boats". Where do you get a boat? Yup. On the river.
Also, in the days of yore, much hold'em was played on paddleboats on the Mississpippi river, and because of gamblings seedy reputation at the time, the "ladies of virtue" would not allow their men to play indoors (or with a hat). Therefore, they set up their card tables on the outside decks of the paddleboat. It got windy sometimes, and often the 5th street card would be blown overboard, into the river. Ofter, players would catch a glimpse of this card before it blew over, and if it helped them, they would dive in after it, into the river. Thus, the "river-card" was born.

(Easy read, but again, some deceptive players would dive in when they airballed the river card, then bet it up big as a bluff.)

Hope this helps.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:04 PM

Yeah, ya know I heard that explanation before but I think it might just be folklore.

Anyone else have an idea where FTR comes from?
Old 02-01-2005, 07:19 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]This forum has gotten much funnier lately.

Regards
Brad S
Old 02-01-2005, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

(Easy read, but again, some deceptive players would dive in when they airballed the river card, then bet it up big as a bluff.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I can personally attest that this move is alive and well and still works. It is all the more devestating b/c it does wonders for one's Shania.

Yugoslav