Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2005, 12:40 PM

Default Re: High Roller movie, anyone watch?

[ QUOTE ]
I thought it was a decent movie, although I think they could have cast Stu's role a little better. Michael doesn't look a thing like Stu. Also was Stu a hardcore italian?

[/ QUOTE ]
He was a mafioso jew! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2005, 01:05 PM

I'd really like to hear what the people who knew Stuey thought of the movie, like Mike Sexton for example.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:34 PM

Well, maybe they will do a better job on Doyle Brunsons Life story.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:46 PM

google stu ungar and you will find better story telling about his life.
bud
Old 01-31-2005, 07:36 PM

Stu had A4, John Strempf had A8, flop was Ac 5d 3h, John Stremf bet like 100k and Stuey bet enough to set him all in, John called. Turn was another 3, meaning any card above an 8 and they split the pot. River was the 2 giving Stuey the wheel and the win. Also had Stuey lost that hand, he'd still have over 1 million in chips so it would by no means have been over had he lost the hand.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:47 PM

I ordered Starz just to watch this movie and was pretty disappointed by the lack of depth at which they explored his vices. I'd give it about a 4 out of 10.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:29 PM

Yeah that's where the movie really lacked...it never dove into just how big Stu's problems were. They tried in some parts, but it came off as somewhat corny. Like when he stumbles into his house absolutely wrecked to find his wife has left him. He stumbles downstairs to the phone and calls in a bet for 20k just to spite her. Just corny.

They also didn't get into just how bad the cocaine affected him. I remember ESPN ran a great piece on him on SportsCenter a few months back. That 5 minute piece was much better than the movie. They didn't sugar coat everything...they told the real story. One of the most interesting parts was about his last WSOP. His body was so weak at that point, he literally had to sleep during the breaks just to be able to make it through the 12 hour sessions.

The movie didn't do his legend, the good or the bad, any justice.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:55 AM

Right. A 2 or a 4 were the only cards that would win it for him.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah that's where the movie really lacked...it never dove into just how big Stu's problems were. They tried in some parts, but it came off as somewhat corny. Like when he stumbles into his house absolutely wrecked to find his wife has left him. He stumbles downstairs to the phone and calls in a bet for 20k just to spite her. Just corny.

They also didn't get into just how bad the cocaine affected him. I remember ESPN ran a great piece on him on SportsCenter a few months back. That 5 minute piece was much better than the movie. They didn't sugar coat everything...they told the real story. One of the most interesting parts was about his last WSOP. His body was so weak at that point, he literally had to sleep during the breaks just to be able to make it through the 12 hour sessions.

The movie didn't do his legend, the good or the bad, any justice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. The part where his daughter and about-to-be ex said he looked good was particularly disturbing as those that know what Stuey looked like when he won in 97 will remember how horrendously bad his nose looked, caving in from years of cocaine abuse.

This movie needed at LEAST another 30-45 minutes to flesh out properly. I personally didn't care much for the plot device of "death" talking to him in his hotel room, I didn't like the young actor AT ALL that played him as a boy, and I don't understand why they made characters up such as DJ and Mr. Leo,(I'm assuming they ar emade up, and are loosely based on Jack Straus and Lyle BErman, not sure on BErman tho.). The 27 hand is a classic, however, and goes right up there with the best poker hands ever in movie history. I love the GIn scene too with Mr Leo. The way he blew all the $$$ on a guess when he knew everything else for sure just to show off sound like quintessential Stuey from what little I know about him.