Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2005, 11:49 AM

Default Drawbacks of playing at the bad beat jackpot @ PP?

^
Old 01-15-2005, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Drawbacks of playing at the bad beat jackpot @ PP?

Well, in the long term, if you always play it, and if you played 100 billion hands, you would end up losing at least 10% of the jackpot contribution (Party's JP rake).

In the shorter term, if you only played it when it was above some level, there may be a level where it's +EV, but I haven't done the math to say what level.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:44 PM

They take a bigger rake, so it is harder to be a winning player.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:56 PM

An extra .50 is raked per pot, so if you play 2/4 or 3/6 this can make a big difference.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:05 PM

You expect to worse than your 'fair share' on the BBJ actually, as you'll be on the ignorant end of a straight flush way less often than the fishes. Unless you start playing 32s UTG...
Old 01-15-2005, 07:37 PM

It's a huge longshot to hit one of these, and they'll be getting extra money off you as people have pointed out. The other thing is that jackpot strategy involves playing in a way somewhat contrary to EV.

KC
kingcobrapoker.com
Old 01-16-2005, 02:56 AM

The bad beat jackpot becomes +ev at $197K... but it's such a long shot that you might not wanna exploit that +ev, because of the large variance or risk of ruin. (especially if you got a small bankroll, or are a 1BB/100 player)
Old 01-16-2005, 04:23 PM

I don't think there is any question that the added rake would decrease the EV of these games. The question is, is the extra rake off-set by the extra fishiness of the players who play these games?

First, players who don't understand the negative EV effect of the added rake are more likely to be bad players overall. Second, players who adjust their play to go for the jackpot (seeing the flop with small pairs or playing beaten trips to the river) are going to build bigger pots here than in regular games.

Anyone have some big PT databases that can compare the two types of games?
Old 01-16-2005, 09:57 PM

I have a couple of problems with the whole concept ... Frankly, if I lost with 4 deuces, I'd be just as pissed as if I lost with 4 queens. So why do you have to have 8s to qualify?
Also, you're playing to lose. You want to get quad 8s and lose not win, because you will make a heck of a lot more money.
Finally, I've been playing online since last summer. A LOT of hands, though I have no idea how many. I have NEVER seen quads lose to quads. NEVER.
To anyone who has played these tables: Are the hands "fixed" so that it happens more frequently? Someone wins this jackpot at least once every two weeks it seems ... or does it just seem like that?
Old 01-17-2005, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Finally, I've been playing online since last summer. A LOT of hands, though I have no idea how many. I have NEVER seen quads lose to quads. NEVER.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen it. I've also seen straight flushes lose to straight flushes. It happens.

[ QUOTE ]
To anyone who has played these tables: Are the hands "fixed" so that it happens more frequently? Someone wins this jackpot at least once every two weeks it seems ... or does it just seem like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are thousands of players playing 60 hands per hour. The likelihood of the bad beat getting hit is pretty good, though the chances of you or me hitting it is slim. The hands don't need to be fixed.

If the BBJ criteria were the same as a B&M cardroom, the jackpot would be hit every day, at least.

Regards,

T